This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mastery Form Check sPL PE1 + iM Please

Started by Ryan Bailey, November 16, 2015 · 13 Replies · 271 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Your PE looks good, although I can't tell from the angle if the shoulders stay in the same position or move forward a bit on the descent. On the -ims it looks like your outside glute is either coming off the floor or is sliding forward in order to compensate for ROM. As far as I know, the glutes and hips don't move position, the legs merely go from side to side. It seems like your glute is sliding a bit in order to decrease the angle and maintain contact with the floor. I could be wrong. The depth looks good on the -im though, if my point happens to be moot regarding the glute.

Mark Schoenhard

If you pretend to drill the sitz bones into the floor, extend your legs slightly and widen the distance between your feet you will target internal rotation of the hips.  The intention of this iM.  This is not a shin box switch drill.

Ryan Bailey

Man... Swivel Hips have been hard for me, and I`d like to start training PE2 soon.

Its been 2 more months of working hip mobility/stretching.

I think twisting squats and some of the Tumbling 1 course is maybe helping as well.

Does this range of motion resemble swivel hips yet?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=QhP8c9YHMdk

Thanks,

Ryan

Alessandro Mainente

If swivel hips are hard for you I highly recommend to do them with ass elevated approximately of 25-30 cm and with the torso more vertical. do this daily, my persona physio told me that for my situation at least 10-15 months would have to be enough for fix my problem with swivel hips. he was optimistic because it took to me 22 months.

Ryan Bailey
Alessandro Mainente said:

If swivel hips are hard for you I highly recommend to do them with ass elevated approximately of 25-30 cm and with the torso more vertical. do this daily, my persona physio told me that for my situation at least 10-15 months would have to be enough for fix my problem with swivel hips. he was optimistic because it took to me 22 months.

Holy s#%t. Thanks for a good dose of reality, and thank you very much for the feedback.

I appreciate it.

HB_Ron
Alessandro Mainente said:

If swivel hips are hard for you I highly recommend to do them with ass elevated approximately of 25-30 cm and with the torso more vertical. do this daily, my persona physio told me that for my situation at least 10-15 months would have to be enough for fix my problem with swivel hips. he was optimistic because it took to me 22 months.

Elevate both buttocks?

Alessandro Mainente

Both. Height should be appropriated so that you can hold the hips squared during all the movement.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Are you on PE3 for squats? I found the STS squat and its mobility to be the best proponent for hip opening in Foundation 1--it really helped swivel hips.

Ryan Bailey
Alessandro Mainente said:

If swivel hips are hard for you I highly recommend to do them with ass elevated approximately of 25-30 cm and with the torso more vertical. do this daily, my persona physio told me that for my situation at least 10-15 months would have to be enough for fix my problem with swivel hips. he was optimistic because it took to me 22 months.

Is this an ok daily routine for swivel hips?

I worked a few minutes of Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF) techniques into the positions prior to the video.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan Bailey
Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Are you on PE3 for squats? I found the STS squat and its mobility to be the best proponent for hip opening in Foundation 1--it really helped swivel hips.

No. I am not. Still working some depth on the Cossack squats before I can move on. Thanks for the recommendation and good to know it helps with swivel hips. Honestly, there is a part of my brain that is still a little bit nervous about inside squats. I guess that old, "correct line" physical therapist training still has a little hold on me at times; I`m evolving :-)

I may look at easing into that one soon when I stop being such a wussy...

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Just take them easy. They get better and the deeper you go, the more you'll realize that they really help the hips. I work Cossacks still myself, want to get my feet parallel before I move on to SLS/PE4, but it's slow goings with ankle dorsiflexion but I've got time. 

Ryan Bailey
Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Just take them easy. They get better and the deeper you go, the more you'll realize that they really help the hips. I work Cossacks still myself, want to get my feet parallel before I move on to SLS/PE4, but it's slow goings with ankle dorsiflexion but I've got time.

When you say feet parallel, do you mean you at the bottom of the movement? Or do you rotate the extended leg?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I mean at the start of the movement and for Cossack Squat, I mean throughout the Movement, which is not easy by any means.