This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Zombie lumbar spine

Started by SarahsWhere, November 15, 2015 · 1 Replies · 204 Views

SarahsWhere

Just finished reading the threads I found about lumbar flexibility and didn't see what I was looking for.

Three years ago I compression fractured the anterior body of my T12. It wasn't a terrible fracture, but it was slightly crushed and will remain that way. I'm wondering if that's why I have difficulty pinning my lumbar spine to the ground in the supine thoracic band pull? I also noticed it in my deck squat attempts, rock and rolls, and playing around with unweighted Jefferson curls.

What else other than being patient and consistent can help mobilize that area?

Murray Truelove

It's possible you have tight hip flexors. Google "Anterior pelvic tilt", this can prevent you from rolling the pelvis neutral or posterior.

 

A good test is lie on the floor with your arms overhead and facing the ceiling (like H1 PE4 if you have it), now try and flatten your lower back so it is in contact with the floor, if you're having trouble bend the knees. Now assuming this is difficult, stretch the hip flexors for a few minutes each and try again.

 

I had a lot of trouble with the straddle hollow body rocks because of tight hip flexors, only when these where stretched out enough was I able to create a smooth rocking motion.

 

Because of a previous injury it's probably a good idea to seek out a professional physio therapist.