This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE3

Started by Shellberight, November 15, 2015 · 6 Replies · 73 Views

Shellberight

https://MXSL_a7l2v8

Is my alignment good?

Keilani Gutierrez

can't seem to bring up the video on my briwser, mind re-posting it?

edit: saw the new link, i like how you're doing it, as time goes on the PE will straighten up and stack. keep this in your warm up until you begin free HS to work on that inverted body line and how it feels to change it.

how do you feel with the iM?

Shellberight

Hi Keilani

 

Yeah, the verticality varies from one headstand to the next. Sometimes I get a 'good start' and it's vertical from the outset. Often like here there's a slight lean which I reckon I should try to get rid of. It's hard to tell where you are when you're doing it. Overall I feel I need more routine to make it consistently vertical. Do I also need more PPT or something?

 

I'm doing the iM as part of my 'HS iM circuit' using a 7 kg bar. Haven't filmed myself doing it yet but it feels OK. I can get to 180 degrees in the seated hold (iM 1). With time I intend to build all iMs up to 10 kg.

 

Slightly off-topic, which iMs give similar improvements than the seated wall extensions that I'm also doing? Or do they have unique benefits?

Keilani Gutierrez

headstand line - just shoot for to find the middle of the triangle you set as a base and you'll get the alignment. the ppt will come from the stack when you open the shoulders + hips.

iM's - the first iM feels like the 5th PE in the handstand series, so i suggest keeping that in mind and really using the trapz instead of the delts to push that bar overhead. i used to play with some of the PE's after my WOD to gauge how the progress was going and to familiarize myself with the niche exercises that target spots i hadnt used before. maybe that'll help.

wall extensions - a little out of my scope. i have it understood that doing them before having sufficient pec, delt, trap mobility that you risk impingement. i'd look to Alessandros thoughts on this one.

Shellberight

Trapz it is! :) I tried the 5th PE as well using a 7 kg bar. I was able to keep it up for +30s but when I compared my performance to that on the course video I noticed I didn't have my arms quite parallel like the guy on the video. This exercise is much harder than PE4.

 

Wall extensions feel awesome. When I started them I couldn't even put my arms and wrists on the wall but now I can do it easily.

Keilani Gutierrez
Shellberight said:

Trapz it is! :) I tried the 5th PE as well using a 7 kg bar. I was able to keep it up for +30s but when I compared my performance to that on the course video I noticed I didn't have my arms quite parallel like the guy on the video. This exercise is much harder than PE4.

 

Wall extensions feel awesome. When I started them I couldn't even put my arms and wrists on the wall but now I can do it easily.

gold star for listening to your body :D

I'm recovering a dislocated shoulder with some scar tissue that makes certain movements hazardous if i bite off too much too soon, so if you can do it pain free then go right for it!