The weight is 10 kg which gives a good challenge but how's my form? 5 kg feels too light
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Shellberight, November 14, 2015 · 13 Replies · 160 Views
The weight is 10 kg which gives a good challenge but how's my form? 5 kg feels too light
Shellberight said:The weight is 10 kg which gives a good challenge but how's my form? 5 kg feels too light
Just to make sure.... you meant "10kg" correct?
Yes,10 kg
I would say it's a little too much for your right side - there's more arching of your back with the trunk assisting in bringing the weight up, less control in bringing the weight down, and a suspicion of arm bending. I would change all these for both sides by staying upright, slowing down and locking the arm. 5kg to 10 kg is a big jump for the shoulder joint - try to increase the weight using small increments.
By the way your shoulders dip on the downward motion I'd say you're using too much weight. 10kg is a lot for this, and it's a mobility element, not a strength element. Mobility elements should not be maximal efforts.
It also looks like you're twisting backwards & reaching back too far. I have a running post on HBP/PE2 and the iM, and got some comments on this motion. The advice was to stand square to a wall and trace the path of the dumbell such that the face of the dumbell just skims the wall. Here's me doing it with 5lbs (2.25kg): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Hxt7lv7DE.
Thanks for the pointers, guys. I wasn't sure what to look for but now I have a much better idea. I thought reaching and twisting far back was good. I'll try again with 10 kg, more slowly and upright, and if I can't do it right I'll reduce the weight until I have tge right form.
wamarler said:"10kg is a lot for this, and it's a mobility element, not a strength element. Mobility elements should not be maximal efforts."
10 kg may seem like a lot. However, if someone has proper form and no fatigue following 50 reps, this is not strength training, nor maximal effort.
Ryan Bailey said:
10 kg may seem like a lot. However, if someone has proper form and no fatigue following 50 reps, this is not strength training, nor maximal effort.
True enough.
Just wondering if the long term target in exercises with external weights shouldn't be a percentage of one's body weight. I mean, why would someone weighing 40 kg have the same target as somebody like me who weighs 90 kg. Imo it's a matter of absolute strength rather than relative strength like in pure bw exercises.
I tried to improve my form based on the comments above. Here are 10 kg Xiaopengs with back and side view to make assessment easier.
You want to get more rotation in the back half.
The idea is the weight should be facing straight towards the camera in the back view and you can see it's angled off to the side.
TOO MUCH WEIGHT, same bad form.
figure out the form with 5 lbs not even 5 kgs, get it perfect. then try 8lbs get it perfect. then try 10 lbs.
I think you are focusing on how much weight you can lift up - twist your body - let down; rather than how much range of motion in the shoulder you can achieve. Stand next to a wall and only twist your body only enough to complete the circle while challenging the shoulder mobility. Reach back and rotate through the shoulder, don't arch your back, don't lean this is a mobility drill for the shoulder.
Thanks guys. Weight is not the main issue as my form is the same at 3-10 kg. I'll take your advise to try it next to a wall to improve the trajectory.
Were just trying to tell you that the weight is holding you back from finding the stretch that this is supposed to be.