Prerequisites for a XR support hold

Started by vannybute, November 12, 2015 · 4 Replies · 3,184 Views

vannybute

I was wondering what the prerequisites for an XR support hold are, as Coach mentions them numerous times in various essays, and many children and adult gymnastics programs train them quite early on (though this may be harmful/dangerous).

Jon Douglas

Potentially dangerous to adults who are heavy enough to hurt themselves with insufficient straight arm prep, especially compared to children. It's the same thing with back levers-- kids who have never stretched probably won't have much trouble, but a normal adult risks damage.

In terms of training support holds for conditioning, they first appear in R1 although some F2 elements require the ability to hold oneself on the rings with straight arms. This is not a long thing and doesn't require the picture-perfect form of rings-level work :)

vannybute

I'm asking for my 12 year old son :P

Alexander Egebak
GenericGymnast said:

I'm asking for my 12 year old son :P

I will chime in here with my opinion and say that if your son can do like 3 x 30s parallel bar support then he is fine doing some rings support hold every now and then.

vannybute

Thanks Alexander!