This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dislocates

Started by vannybute, November 12, 2015 · 15 Replies · 166 Views

vannybute

Hi, I was wondering how my son's dislocates look. Aside from elevating shoulders more at the top and engaging PPT even more, what should he improve upon? 

https://vid.me/PDK5

 

Thanks!

korija

Dont listen to me, but i think that you need to protract when going backwards and retract when going forwards. 

vannybute

Curious, how can one protract while going backwards? Don't the scapula need to un-protract to switch from flexion to extension?

Jon Douglas
GenericGymnast said:

Curious, how can one protract while going backwards? Don't the scapula need to un-protract to switch from flexion to extension?

 

Yes. But while lifting in the front and going towards the backwards position, protraction should occur. I think of it as following and extending the arc of my arms with my shoulder position :)

vannybute

Hmm... so my son's form is wrong?

vannybute

I believe he did protact while lifting to the overhead from the front position,but I could be wrong.

Jon Douglas
GenericGymnast said:

Hmm... so my son's form is wrong?

 

I'm sorry, I can't view the video from work, so I hope my brief explanations are useful :)

vannybute

Thanks anyways!

Alessandro Mainente

Forced protraction leads to unnatural movement for the shoulder joint forcing the upper arms to stay internally rotated when elevating and dislocating. scapulae need to be held neutral and focus on elevation .

Retraction should be limited since when it's completed the chest will naturally open.

Strong retraction is necessary if your traps and generally muscles that involves the 2nd part of dislocate are not so strong to counterbalance the leverage. IF you spent the necessary time on previous IM especially extension with neutral shoulders why do you need extreme retraction?

 

You should teach to your kid to dislocate while holding the ribs down. all the other things come as a consequence. 

vannybute

Didn't he keep the ribs down?

Alessandro Mainente

In fact I did not saying that is wrong. for optimal execution you need to ask him what i've said. also the movement is not fluid, this needs to be fixed.

I'm not surprised by kids deficit on dislocates, i'm by far more proficient in dislocates than all my kids.

vannybute

Sorry, I misunderstood :( Out of scientific curiosity, what is it that puts kids at a disadvantage in dislocates in comparison to adults?

 

Thanks so much!

vannybute

about the fluidity, he thought it should be broken into parts. sorry about that.

Alessandro Mainente
GenericGymnast said:

Sorry, I misunderstood :( Out of scientific curiosity, what is it that puts kids at a disadvantage in dislocates in comparison to adults?

 

Thanks so much!

I never said that thing. I said that i'm not surprised by the fact that also kids struggle with this type of physical preparation. why? because strength is strength, weak muscles are weak muscles, for adults and for kids.

vannybute

Oh. I see. I thought dislocates are a stretching exercise, how are they classified as such if they require muscle effort and good strength?

Keilani Gutierrez
GenericGymnast said:

Oh. I see. I thought dislocates are a stretching exercise, how are they classified as such if they require muscle effort and good strength?

because we're doing them with weight, as a mobility exercise. :)