This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

S.A.C? sPL/SE6>iM

Started by David Birchall, November 12, 2015 · 10 Replies · 232 Views

David Birchall

What does SAC stand for?  My best guess is Straddle Active Compression?

 

The purpose of it I think is to develop the active flexibility when pulling the legs apart in a straddle.

 

Does anyone know the proper terms for this?  

 

- pike and straddle compression is the strength required in the quads and hip flexors to pull the hamstrings isn't it?

 

- so SAC is what muscle strength for the inner thigh?

 

I'm sure I remember reading these words sometime ago antagonistic pair? hip flexion, hip extension, internal rotation, rotation, internal rotation....

 

I understand most of upper I think: shoulder extension, flexion, rotation, scapula protraction, depression, elevation etc...

 

Sorry I must sound like an idiot here - I just don't know what the proper terms for the mechanics of it all is and I was wondering if anyone knew a good resource  that explains it all - especially for the lower body.  

 

Thanks

 

David

Jon Douglas

Ale and I were previously arguing that it may stand for 'side ass cramp' or 'standing adductor CRAPDAMMIT THAT HURTS.' I understand they were in fact named after a female US athlete who passed this exercise onto Coach, although her name escapes me at the moment :)

piotro
Jon Douglas said:

' I understand they were in fact named after a female US athlete who passed this exercise onto Coach, although her name escapes me at the moment :)

If my memory works correctly, that athlete was Alicia Sacramone :).

Alan Tseng

The "SAC" series and the sPL>iM series is to develop the "gluteus medius" which is a hip stabilizer muscle.  Strengthening the gluteus medius is very commonly done by physical therapists to counteract (but not limited to) "normal people problems" such as lower back pain/knee pain etc. as well as even just for balancing on a single leg.  In terms of GST however, gluteus medius is done in order to hold the lower body in place during the Straddle Planche.   There are some people who's train their upper body strong enough to hold the Straddle Planche, but then you'll also see that their legs drop - simply because they didn't properly develop the gluteus medius.

 

To best activate the gluteus medius, your hips should be both abducted and externally rotated at the same time.   In regards to the adductors, overly tight adductors can inhibit the gluteus medius

David Birchall

Thanks for the replies that's cleared up a lot. One thing though, in full straddle I see a lot of variation in the tilt of the hips. I think it looks best aesthetically in a straight line however I see a lot of the time the glutes kind of pointing upwards - in google images there's only one or two that I can find that have the round back, hollow body and ppt that I think is correct. Most look arched including ones one gymnastics competitions photos and on the PL foundation videos... and in half of them there not even fully protracting.

So what's the deal - is it SUPPOSED to be hollow, ppt and full protraction? No kink at the bottom of the spine to raise the legs up or should it have one? Is the kink I see to make up for poor hip flexor flexibility and underdeveloped gluteus medium?

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente
Jon Douglas said:

Ale and I were previously arguing that it may stand for 'side ass cramp' or 'standing adductor CRAPDAMMIT THAT HURTS.' I understand they were in fact named after a female US athlete who passed this exercise onto Coach, although her name escapes me at the moment :)

 too funny.

David Salas

What is the meaning of SAC Alessandro?

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, David Salas said:

What is the meaning of SAC Alessandro?

It is a variation of a glute exercise useful for hips muscles development that i saw in 2011 from Coach Sommer, now is a part of the foundations work for planche.

David Salas

Oks thanks for your response, but you dont answer my question.

What is the meaning of SAC = 

The meaning of the abbreviation?  What is the meaning of each letter ?

Alan Tseng
37 minutes ago, David Salas said:

Oks thanks for your response, but you dont answer my question.

What is the meaning of SAC = 

The meaning of the abbreviation?  What is the meaning of each letter ?

SAC stands for the gymnast, Alicia Sacramone

David Salas
On 12/1/2020 at 3:31 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

It is a variation of a glute exercise useful for hips muscles development that i saw in 2011 from Coach Sommer, now is a part of the foundations work for planche.

 

On 12/1/2020 at 3:31 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

It is a variation of a glute exercise useful for hips muscles development that i saw in 2011 from Coach Sommer, now is a part of the foundations work for planche.

Alessandro 

 

What is the meaning of SAC = 

The meaning of the abbreviation?  What is the meaning of each letter ?