This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Counting

Started by Samin Ishtiaq, November 9, 2015 · 9 Replies · 303 Views

Samin Ishtiaq

I've been doing GB for nearly two years now. One thing that has really improved for me over that time is .... my ability to count.

 

To start with, I used to have trouble keeping track of which set I was on, and I invented all kinds of techniques (do the first two sets facing this way, the last two facing that; put a spoon on the dining table after I've done a set) to keep track of which set I was on.

 

I don't seem to need to anymore. I can count subconsciously and it works!

 

:) 

hYYpYz

hehehehe i have like 5 of something like coins or whatever and i put one to the side after each set of strength and mobility just to make sure i wont subconsciously cheat :) to make it easier on myself. Haven't been at it as long as you are though.

Bro'

When SL/PE1 was still ABH, I'd rotate clockwise to count my sets.  :lol: Something I never did with FL progressions for some reason, most likely because it never sucked as much. Also my rings have a writing on them, so I also rotated them to keep count of the sets of RC elements. 

But same as you now, don't need it anymore now.

LateStarter@46

Ha ha. I always have a problem with counting '15' and '16', fortunately reps stop at 15  :D

Itamar sha'ashuaS
Bro said:

When SL/PE1 was still ABH, I'd rotate clockwise to count my sets.  :lol: Something I never did with FL progressions for some reason, most likely because it never sucked as much. Also my rings have a writing on them, so I also rotated them to keep count of the sets of RC elements. 

But same as you now, don't need it anymore now.

 

 

Haha when SL/PE1 was still ABH, counting the sets was the only thing I did!!

palleon86
LateStarter@46 said:

Ha ha. I always have a problem with counting '15' and '16', fortunately reps stop at 15  :D

Try greasing the grove to break through that plateau.

MarcoRod

Holy cow I thought I was the only person who couldn't keep track of sets. If I am not sure what set I am on I usually do an extra set so I don't cheat myself. All the extra work has really improved my counting lol

Jeff G

Haha, I use 5 coins also. After each set I flick a coin into a new pile.

Also, not sure how others time exercises but to time holds I either use timer on my phone or a metronome set to 60bpm (each click is 1 second).

Samin Ishtiaq

Yes, Jeff G, if you think sets are a problem, counting seconds is worst!

 

For exercises like SL (where I don't struggle too much, so I can hear the kitchen clock), I just breath under control and listen to the kitchen clock.

 

My kitchen clock doesn't work for HS: something about being upside down means I can't hear quiet sounds from around the corner very well. So, I put this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHIVeWhCMU8, Jojikiba's "Ticking clock sound (12 hours)", on my computer, at max volume. Of course, my ad profile in Google's database has now gone really weird --- I'm starting to get adverts for clocks, watches and antiques in my gmail now!

 

One problem I have with using a clock or metronome for counting is that my breathing starts to sync with the ticks. This is not good, because you want to breath, through your nose, in for several seconds and then out for several seconds. A tabata-type app that gives you a ready-time plus your set time is a good alternative, but I often screw up the ready time, especially with HS.

 

I'm not overthinking this, it's just an amusement :-)

Jon Douglas

All my 60s sets are set on my phone at 1.05. Simple and clean and erring just slightly towards more volume :)