Hello,
I'm just starting F1 and H1 and I was wondering about the frequency of handstand work.
I'm doing a 5 day Foundation work, also I have some barbell overhead work - light squat jerks and power snatches 2-3 times a week. One would probably think that I'm doing too much, but I'm starting from the very beginning of F1, and I'm doing so just to make sure I don't have any deficits, although I'm fairly mobile and even most of the last mobility and strength elements are not that hard for me.
I'll start from the beginning with H1 too, despite being able to do some elements already, so I'm thinking about doing H1 3 or 4 days a week after I'm done with the F1 for the day. I prefer more frequent, but shorter sessions, so I guess 4 days a week would be better for me.
So, is 4 days overworking it, or should I just try and see what happens?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Handstand work frequency
Started by Kristiyan, November 8, 2015 · 6 Replies · 375 Views
I would recommend you to start with 2 days a week for a full 12 week cycle then if you feel like you progress and recover really easy and without problems, try to add another day. I do Oly lifting besides my foundation and H1 training and I'm good with H1 two times a week. In the past I was doing three F7 workouts by week and just and extra day was hindering my progress, sometimes less is more.
I agree with two times a week, even once/week for the first few H1 PE is not a bad idea to test the waters for 12 weeks. As you are starting H1 you are nowhere near the kind of handstand skill work that requires 4+ days of handstand. For the most part, I stayed at 2 H1 sessions/week until the SE's. Now it's six H1 sessions, 3 H2 session per week, one F3 session, and one oly lifting day. I seriously cannot fathom 5 foundation days + 3 overhead barbell days + 4 H1 session. Unless you are extremely confident in your recovery abilities, I cannot see this as anything but insidious to your training.
As I said my overhead barbell work is really light - I'm talking about 40kg squat jerks (3 times a week) and 40kg power snatches (2 times a week), so It's almost like it's not there. It requires mostly mobility and a little bit of midsection strength. I can push press 85-90kg and power jerk 90-95, so my shoulders/triceps/wrists won't get fatigued at all. Also the first elements are headstands, so I won't have any real overhead strength work in the near future. And my recovery is fairly well - no stress, quality sleep and quality (ish) food.
Overall I think you're both probably right, so I'll test the waters with 2 times a week for a month or two and see what happens.
Micawberian said:Now it's six H1 sessions, 3 H2 session per week, one F3 session, and one oly lifting day.
Sorry to hijack the thread but how are you finding this in terms of foundation progression?
Kristiyan said:As I said my overhead barbell work is really light - I'm talking about 40kg squat jerks (3 times a week) and 40kg power snatches (2 times a week), so It's almost like it's not there. It requires mostly mobility and a little bit of midsection strength. I can push press 85-90kg and power jerk 90-95, so my shoulders/triceps/wrists won't get fatigued at all. Also the first elements are headstands, so I won't have any real overhead strength work in the near future. And my recovery is fairly well - no stress, quality sleep and quality (ish) food.
Overall I think you're both probably right, so I'll test the waters with 2 times a week for a month or two and see what happens.
For the first few H1 elements, its not the headstand that draws concern but rather the mobility exercises. esp as the weight of the bar goes up, the beginning mobility exercises are quite demanding. Yes, I think you are on the right track with two months of 2x/week, and see how it goes from there.
Sisyphus said:Sorry to hijack the thread but how are you finding this in terms of foundation progression?
I have very low recovery abilities from strength work, and I found progress to explode at once per week. I believe the forum user Mark Collins also had a similar experience at once per week. Occasionally, I have gone as long as 8 or 9 days per session and I also found that quite good. It is just harder to keep track of a workout schedule if it doesn't follow the 7-day format
Micawberian said:
I have very low recovery abilities from strength work, and I found progress to explode at once per week.
same. by the time i'm on F2-3 I'm going to give a go at doing F7 or maybe an AM and a PM session.