This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand Form Check w/ Video

Started by Jon Thornham, November 7, 2015 · 10 Replies · 210 Views

Jon Thornham

I am working on my handstand and am currently at PE12.  I know my line is not correct.  The video below shows three different variations of position.  Here is what I notice.

 

Clip One: There seems to be too much curve in the back and my butt is pushed back too far.  My ankle joint seems to be inline with my wrists when I am balanced.

 

Clip Two: I have a flatter back but my butt still seems too far out and my ankles are ahead of my wrists.

 

Clip Three:  In this clip I try to pull my ankles over my base of support but I fall back.  When I pull them forward and stick my but out I balance.

 

Any thoughts as to the reason why I can't keep a straight line?  I know my hip flexors are tight, which could be part of the problem.  I'd love any feedback possible.  

 

Take care,

 

Jon

 

https://youtu.be/AlJ72vilytk

 

Alessandro Mainente

Squeeze your glutes and practice more the pelvic tilt activation.

Jon Thornham

Thank you Alessandro.

Micawberian

Are you capable of keeping the correct position in normal wall handstand? (at 1-3 inches)

Jon Thornham
Micawberian said:

Are you capable of keeping the correct position in normal wall handstand? (at 1-3 inches)

I believe yes, but I'll let the video do the talking.

 

https://youtu.be/9pUvfF8TIGw

 

Take care,

 

Jon

Micawberian

Wow, I imagine that is an uncomfortable position.

 

There is such a thing as going too close, and where exactly "too close" is will depend on an individual's body type. For you, this is too close, as the shoulders are considerably closed. Your ribs are in and there is posterior tilt, but your hands are just simply too close. I would personally come back out to 3 or 4 inches or so that you can open the shoulders all the way.

You are also fidgeting a lot, but I am willing to bet it is largely in part because of this too close issue. Nevertheless, better to get rid of the fidgetting now so it does not cause problems balancing in the freestanding handstand.

 

But, obviously regarding your PE12, the shoulders are in a better, open position. I think you just need to spend some time learning how to posterior tilt and open the hips at the same time. Just like how opening the shoulders and pulling the ribs in seem to create movement in opposite directions, opening the hips and tilting the pelvis posteriorlly are also opposite directions and it can take a while to figure it out. It is very difficult for me to explain the cue I use to accomplish PPT w/ open hips, but with diligence you will get the hang of it.

Jon Thornham
Micawberian said:

Wow, I imagine that is an uncomfortable position.

 

There is such a thing as going too close, and where exactly "too close" is will depend on an individual's body type. For you, this is too close, as the shoulders are considerably closed. Your ribs are in and there is posterior tilt, but your hands are just simply too close. I would personally come back out to 3 or 4 inches or so that you can open the shoulders all the way.

You are also fidgeting a lot, but I am willing to bet it is largely in part because of this too close issue. Nevertheless, better to get rid of the fidgetting now so it does not cause problems balancing in the freestanding handstand.

 

But, obviously regarding your PE12, the shoulders are in a better, open position. I think you just need to spend some time learning how to posterior tilt and open the hips at the same time. Just like how opening the shoulders and pulling the ribs in seem to create movement in opposite directions, opening the hips and tilting the pelvis posteriorlly are also opposite directions and it can take a while to figure it out. It is very difficult for me to explain the cue I use to accomplish PPT w/ open hips, but with diligence you will get the hang of it.

I sure am glad you mentioned this.  After I posted here I watched the video back and thought my hands were too close as well.  I tried bringing the hands out to about 3-4 inches and I was much more stable.  When I was dong the wall work it was really hard to hang in for 60 seconds being that close.  I actually find PE12 easier from a shoulder/trap fatigue standpoint.   

 

I really appreciate the input.  Filming today and getting the feedback here has made a big difference in the direction I am headed.  I will stick on PE12 and back down the time a bit until I can get the PPT.  

 

Take care,

 

Jon

chuchodani

Here you have a video about why being too close from the wall is a problem:

 

Jon Thornham
chuchodani said:

Here you have a video about why being too close from the wall is a problem:

 

Great video. Thanks for sharing this.  Very helpful.

 

Take care,

 

Jon

Nino Begovic
chuchodani said:

Here you have a video about why being too close from the wall is a problem:

 

The last thing he shows in the video, isn't that retracting?

HB_Ron
Nino Begovic said:

The last thing he shows in the video, isn't that retracting?

I don't think that movement was retraction although I'm interested in reading the coachs' answer as well  :)