I've been a climber for about 8 years and have recently bought the Foundation Series, Handstand One, and the stretch series and am looking forward to my gymnastics training complimenting and improving my climbing. I can do about 3-4 one arm pullups with each hand, but I've been inspired by climber and physiotherapist Peter Mortensen as he trained his way to a one-pinkie pullup.
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=6307
Unfortunately, he gives very vague advice [nothing quantifiable] on how to safely progress to that level (and he was not without injury). I've avoided most mono (one finger) work because it seems dangerous, but I've been thinking that a safe way to approach this is to use the same progressions used in gymnasticsbodies. Mainly start with low weight and short reps/time increase the reps/time and then go back to low rep/time with a slightly higher weight. I've started by just carry a 5lb weight slung around my middle finger while taking the dog for the walk each day. When that middle finger is fatigued I switch to the other and roughly keep track of how long (how many blocks) each "set" is. The goal is to slowly over the next few years get up to and maybe past my body weight.
Do you guys have any advice? Is this the right approach? In the interest of time, safety, and usefulness I've decided that developing a middle finger mono on each hand is good enough for me. In case your interested I'm using the Eagle Loop by Ironmind as the sling.