Role of speed in strength training

Started by Edoardo Cagnola, November 5, 2015 · 1 Replies · 2,564 Views

Edoardo Cagnola

We all know that force = mass x acceleration. I know weightlifters and powerlifters emphasize the speed of the concentric part of movements to get the most out of them. Provided that good form is maintained, does this have an application in GST? For instance, should I try to explode up (again, given that form does NOT break down in any way) from the bottom of a dip/PPP? And please notice, I'm not talking about plyometrics but just "regular" strength training.

Thanks for your inputs guys!

Alessandro Mainente

For the beginner explosive movement that is exert a certain effort in less time ass possible is not suitable until a decent level of tissues preparation is achieved. powerlifter and weigthlifter will tell you to think about moving a maximal weight as fast as you can but the curve of real speed of the performance will be closer to zero as you reach the 1RM lift.