This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretching Frequency

Started by Mercurium, November 5, 2015 · 11 Replies · 423 Views

Mercurium

Hi, all  :)

 

I have a question regarding optimum stretching frequency. I understand this is entirely dependent on the intensity of the stretch, so we'll assume that one specific stretching day (for one particular position or muscle group) is intense, while the other two are relaxed. My idea for a routine is thusly...

 

Monday: Front splits, pike, pancake, middle splits, thoracic bridge, shoulder mobility (Low intensity)

Tuesday: Pancake, middle splits (High intensity)

Wednesday: Front splits, pike (High intensity)

Thursday: HS>iMs

Friday: Front splits, pike, pancake, middle splits, thoracic bridge, shoulder mobility (Low intensity)

Saturday: Thoracic bridge, shoulder mobility (High intensity)

Sunday: Complete rest day

 

I'll be buying the Stretch Series before I start!  :D Is this too much? I do have mild lupus, so anything particularly strenuous on connective tissue does a number on me, and I can sometimes be out for a week  :( I'd imagine this frequency of stretching doesn't require much recovery, but I don't know, as I've never stretched that hard or often!

 

My regular routine is Foundation on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Handstand One on Thursday.

 

Any advice is appreciated  :)

Ryan Bailey

Too much?  Well, as you said everyone is different.  However, you may want to take a week to try all 3 of Coach's stretch series (different days of course) and then revisit the plan. 

The first week of completing all 3 of the stretch series does some interesting things for the body;  to say the least.  :lol: 

That is my only suggestion..

Enjoy the stretch!

Ryan

Jon Douglas
Ryan Bailey said:

Too much? Well, as you said everyone is different. However, you may want to take a week to try all 3 of Coach's stretch series (different days of course) and then revisit the plan.

The first week of completing all 3 of the stretch series does some interesting things for the body; to say the least. :lol:

That is my only suggestion..

Enjoy the stretch!

Ryan

I'll second this; potentially this hits you fairly hard if you are new to stretching hard. I'd not really schedule the other sessions in your position, just generally loosen up and explore some ROM. Breaking new ground is the point of the hard days

vinca_minor

One of the Robb Wolf podcasts mentioned something about trouble walking after all the calf raises...

Mercurium

Thanks, guys! I'll look forward to the pain  :icon_twisted:

Mercurium
vinca_minor said:

One of the Robb Wolf podcasts mentioned something about trouble walking after all the calf raises...

My father's genes will hopefully carry me there. Anything calf or quadriceps related feels like breathing, but anything do with the hips... Well, let's just say two sets of hip abductions makes it hard to stand  :lol:

Nick Roy

I've played around with scheduling, but stick to the Once per Week rule for each session. I find doing Front Split series in the morning on Monday and Middle Split that evening is a great way to knock them both out and give my lower body an even soreness the next day instead of prolonging the "weak" feeling it gives you later on. For me parts of my legs will feel fatigued and then 1 or 2 days later doin another stretch series that makes them feel fatigued for another couple days, just makes me feel weak. But if I do them the same day, then 2 days later i'm good and I haven't overworked my body. Plus I have a designated day for Hard stretching and just maintaining my standard Foundation mobility work during the week. That's just how I do it, because of my work schedule and life situation at the moment.

Mercurium

That's a good point, Nick. I hadn't thought about feeling weak/sore all the time from having separate, high intensity stretching days. I might just do everything on one day, twice a week. Thanks for the input  :)

Jon Douglas

I don't get a weak/sore feeling from lower body stretching, but I have noticed that I do a bit better not doing hard bridge stretching the day before upper body workout. Same difference. Happily a hard upper vody stretch fits right in after a hard upper strength session :)

Mercurium

I find that I can't really stretch my upper body, unless it's my glenohumeral rotators, in which case they're so tight, the starting position of the stretch is enough  :wacko:

Jon Douglas

What do you mean you can't stretch your upper body?

Bro'

I think he means he doesn't really feel a good stretch on the stuff he does to stretch the upper body, but I'd say that's because he never did the TB series.  :lol: