This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility Session

Started by Antonio Murillo-Garcia, November 4, 2015 · 2 Replies · 181 Views

Antonio Murillo-Garcia

Is it a good idea to have a mobility session consisting of all the im's of a fundamental movement or two?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Necessary, no. Optional, sure. You can always add more but you don't necessarily need to. If you schedule your workouts properly you likely won't want to. I, though, perform a daily limbering routine soon after waking up (independent of my workout schedule and the day of the week, I try to do this daily).

 

So, considering the elements I have mastered (which you can see in my signature below), I incorporate:

- cat/cows (FL/PE1-im)

- german arm swings (HBP/PE1-im)

- latissimus leans (RC/PE1-im)

- hip circles (SL/PE1-im)

- trunk twists (SL/PE2-im)

- swivel hips (sPL/PE1-im)

- skier squats (SLS/PE1-im)

- twisting squats (SLS/PE2-im)

- insides squats (SLS/PE3-im)

- Single Arm Windmills (MN/PE1-im)

 

In addition to this routine, I do one set of scapular shrugs at 15 reps, one set of bHBR at max reps (somewhere between 36-60 reps), one minute of pullup bar hangs and one minute in as deep a squat as I can maintain (with as upright back and ankle flexion that I can muster). All of this takes  somewhere between 15-18 minutes. It's not too intensive, sometimes it gets a sweat going, sometimes not. But since I am still a beginner in many of the elements I feel that this limbering is sufficient as a warm-up so I usually forego doing one at the gym with my actual workout. Hope this provides you some clarity based on my subjective example.

Alexander Egebak

I sometimes do mobility work on off days. Be careful not to overdo things though. sPL PE1 iM can be done almost infinitely but H1 PE 2 iM is way more taxing and should not be done on off days.

 

If you are in doubt of specific elements you can always drop a questions. General rule of thumb would be to skip the mobility elements which holds a larger strength component (like sPL PE 2+ iM, jefferson curls and xiao pengs) and include the mobility elements which holds a flexibility component (like swivel hips, hip circles and cat-crow). Of course, this has to be in relation to your current level of strength.