Hi everyone, it seems as though I have ridiculously tight hips and I'm struggling to do the swivel hips exercise in the sPL, I can barely move my hip towards the ground with my glutes on the ground, it doesn't even feel like it could go further. I know it can with the appropriate stretches, I'm just looking for advice on what to do as the strength exercise is mastered while I can't even complete a single rep on the mobility part? Any advice on how to bridge this gap as fast as possible will be greatly appreciated!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Extremely tight hips.
Started by Mr Mattock, October 31, 2015 · 14 Replies · 636 Views
https://www.defrancostraining.com/joe-ds-qlimber-11q-flexibility-routine/
Is good for the hips. Also spend some time in the "third world squat".
Middle split course and front split courses, I know this is said a lot but really. If you can afford them, well worth the time and money.
Simple starters, just start walking more. If you go for a 10-30 minute walk you will loosen up your hips. 30 minutes is probably a good sweet spot and an hour is even better if you want especially warm and loose hips. Just a casual walk, don't power walk.
Also, you can do the 90/90 reach. Youtube the video "Bioenergetic Warmup". It's a video from the strength camp channel. He goes over the stretch at the 5:45 mark in the video. You're essentially breaking down the individual positions of swivel hips into two separate static stretches. I personally do this in my warm up, focusing on the internal rotation because that is where I am weak.
attacking piriformis with a vengeance has given me extra mobility for swivel hips.
dont know if im experiencing this from overly tight piriformis or if it's specific to the exercise. im ruling tight piriformis but am open to discussing anatomy so i can learn to troubleshoot hip mobility better. ![]()
Do the stretch series. Combine the stretch series with lots of gentler stretches throughnthe day. Change sitting postures every 10-20 mins. Wlk more and sit less.
Sell your lounge and all chairs in your house. Squat when you go tomthe toilet.
If all that fails move to Africa and join a tribe for a few years.
Thank you everyone!!! Would you say I could carry on working through the straddle planche progressions while my mobility catches up?
Not if you can't pass im1
just take this as a time to focus on the mobility. it is unlikely to slow you down long term as this is clearly an issue you need to address that will stop you sometime ![]()
I'm going through the same thing as you. I have odd hip tightness that I'm correcting. I put foundation to the side for a bit while I tackle it. The right side of my pelvis for whatever reason is in torsion slightly and I can feel when my hips are uneven. Flexing my glutes literally cracks my "ass", popping it back in place where it should be resting all the time. I was sitting alot for my job and apparently favored one side. My lumber on my right side would randomly tense up and hurt just because of this. Anytime my hips are stretched however I don't have any of these issues. Front Split and Middle Split are my bumper buddies for awhile. They've helped a ton with any discomfort I had from this. I do some pushups and Table bridge in the morning just to do something. But my main work for the time being is Stretch
SarahsWhere said:Middle split course and front split courses, I know this is said a lot but really. If you can afford them, well worth the time and money.
I bought the stretch series, but I have an issue with the middle split series.
I have the same problem as the user above with extremely tight hips. My straddle isn't bad (not great, but not terrible) but as soon as I try to rotate my pelvis forward (middle split) it stops dead. I literally have zero range of motion. If I sit on the floor with my legs spread out in front of me, I can't lean forward at all. I can't even sit up at 90 degrees. Any forward motion is just me bending my spine, nothing at the hips. So MS/SE 16-20 have NO range of motion for me whatsoever.
Should I still keep trying to do them or stick with more basic piriformis/straddle stuff?
Sit on a block when you do that, maybe?
pdelcasino said:I bought the stretch series, but I have an issue with the middle split series.
I have the same problem as the user above with extremely tight hips. My straddle isn't bad (not great, but not terrible) but as soon as I try to rotate my pelvis forward (middle split) it stops dead. I literally have zero range of motion. If I sit on the floor with my legs spread out in front of me, I can't lean forward at all. I can't even sit up at 90 degrees. Any forward motion is just me bending my spine, nothing at the hips. So MS/SE 16-20 have NO range of motion for me whatsoever.
Should I still keep trying to do them or stick with more basic piriformis/straddle stuff?
Elevate your hips as high as necessary until you are able to begin working productively. If that means you are 3'+ above the ground, fine. The main point is to increase the angle of your hips until you reach the point where you can comfortably and consistently achieve APT.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Coach Sommer said:Elevate your hips as high as necessary until you are able to begin working productively. If that means you are 3'+ above the ground, fine. The main point is to increase the angle of your hips until you reach the point where you can comfortably and consistently achieve APT.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Even if that means standing? Sat on a chair I'm unable to roll my pelvis and achieve ATP.
It is what it is.
I doubt that you will find yourself standing upright, but you may very well find yourself half leaning on a bar stool.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Coach wins for the funniest thing said today.