This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Retesting mastery

Started by Tybalt, October 31, 2015 · 5 Replies · 198 Views

Tybalt

Apologies if this has been covered before but has anyone ever gone back and retest for mastery on every single progression to see if you haven't created any disbalances over time?

Would anyone like to share their experience?

Itamar sha'ashuaS

I was somewhere in the middle of F1 and F2 for SLS and got back to PE1 in all the elements because I wanted to master them perfectly.

this was a month ago and I feel very good with this! my progress is much better now when I'm making sure that my technique is perfect before moving on

Jason Dupree

Yes. I've actually done it a couple times for SLS because I enjoy the reinforcement. It doesn't take long to get back to where I was, and I never regret it. Same with SL, sPL and RC. On the elements I have gotten stuck on early progressions, taking a step back has always shed light on why I got stuck. After getting stuck on FL PE2, I went back and realized I wasn't keeping it tight enough, trying to do it without my abs. That said, once I master PE6 of FL, I'm not sure I'd want to repeat mastery. Those endurance holds seem way harder than SLS progressions for instance, at least to me. I plan on running through everything again when I finish F4 though.

~Atticus
Jason Dupree said:

Yes. I've actually done it a couple times for SLS because I enjoy the reinforcement. It doesn't take long to get back to where I was, and I never regret it. Same with SL, sPL and RC. On the elements I have gotten stuck on early progressions, taking a step back has always shed light on why I got stuck. After getting stuck on FL PE2, I went back and realized I wasn't keeping it tight enough, trying to do it without my abs. That said, once I master PE6 of FL, I'm not sure I'd want to repeat mastery. Those endurance holds seem way harder than SLS progressions for instance, at least to me. I plan on running through everything again when I finish F4 though.

Once I master RC/PE6 that's it! Even if you offered to pay me to do it I wouldn't!

Jon Douglas

When I fixed my shoulder impingement I noticed that some positions, especially support and hs positions, felt quite different. I dialed back to where I was 110% sure of a correct position and built back up strict. This may well explain my stop start piecemeal progress; I'd gone as far as I was going to get without correct positions, understanding, and alignment. Fighting myself too hard.

It was hard to swallow and frustrating for a few months - i spent eight weeks just training a basic pbar support back in-- but I've passed where i was previously on almost everything, and my steady improvement says it was worth it to me :)

Jon Douglas

For the past six workouts I've also been retesting up through f4 sl; same reason. Discovering some deficits haa been a little surprising and humbling, but Wed workout I will be back up to my previous best, and ready to exceed it.