This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Narrow Hurdler flexibility issue

Started by Explorer, October 27, 2015 · 6 Replies · 385 Views

Explorer

Hi Everyone!

I am just starting out on my Gymnastic Bodies journey. I completed the front split protocol today and found the narrow hurdler stretch near impossible. I am unable to sit my seat bones on the floor like in the video without letting my bent leg rotate out to the side and even then only the seat bone on my straight leg is on the ground! I know with consistent practice it is achievable, but I am unsure of the correct way to train this stretch in my current state of flexibility. Do I let the bent leg rotate out? Or keep it in correct alignment and use blocks to keep my hips aligned? Really not sure of the best way to progress and where I should be seeking to feel the stretch in this position.

Thanks in advance!

 

Cole Dano

Try sitting on a stretch block, or folded blanket.

Explorer

Thanks for that recommendation. Presumably I should sit both seat bones on the block? Should I focus first on getting my seat bones to the floor or on stretching the calf/hamstring? I'm determined to be able to do this stretch properly one day :)

dynamo

I had issues with this one as well.  I was getting pretty good sitting on a stretch block, but as soon as I sat directly on the floor it became impossible again.

 

I attach a stretch strap to a stall bar rung.  Then I sit off to the side of the stall bar and pull myself forward with the strap at maybe a 30 to 45 degree angle.  I am pulling myself forward even though the strap is attached off to the side and at an angle from my body.  It's the only way I can pull myself forward.  If I put the strap in front of me I can't get enough torque to pull myself forward and I fall sideways if I try.

Nick Roy

I just sat back, got the proper leg and foot position first, then used straps to pull my upper body into the stretch. I don't need the strap anymore after only 3 or 4 sessions in. For me the biggest issue was keeping the other leg pulled in towards the stretching leg.

Jon Douglas

I used a rolles up towel for a different stretch I was surprisingly tight in, and worked to slowly unroll it each week. Works well for that last inch or two :)

Explorer

Thanks everyone! I'll give those suggestions a try and see how I get on this week :)