This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Progression and mobility stack

Started by Spanias Harris, October 26, 2015 · 10 Replies · 265 Views

Spanias Harris

I have a question and i want to check how you deal with this. In some exercises such as SL/PE2 (Cossack squats) and it's iM (Twisting Squats), i can do fairly easy the strength exercise but i can't do the iM with flow, so i keep practicing this progression. 

 

My question is:

How i must cycle and practice this exercise? I should go every day of F1 practice 5x10 cossack squats along with 5x10 twisting squats or i must cycle it from the start (week 1)? If i cycle it from the start i'll have to do 3x2 etc that's almost nothing as practice for me. What's your advice? Is the best option to do 3 weeks of 5x10 and then the 4th to deload (5x5) ? Do i also will have to deload on twisting squats? 

Ryan Bailey
Spanias Harris said:

I have a question and i want to check how you deal with this. In some exercises such as SL/PE2 (Cossack squats) and it's iM (Twisting Squats), i can do fairly easy the strength exercise but i can't do the iM with flow, so i keep practicing this progression. 

 

My question is:

How i must cycle and practice this exercise? I should go every day of F1 practice 5x10 cossack squats along with 5x10 twisting squats or i must cycle it from the start (week 1)? If i cycle it from the start i'll have to do 3x2 etc that's almost nothing as practice for me. What's your advice? Is the best option to do 3 weeks of 5x10 and then the 4th to deload (5x5) ? Do i also will have to deload on twisting squats?

Spanias,

I am in a similar situation and wonder the same question. In the meantime I focus on the details of the cossack while the twisting squats are catching up. Example, a straighter spine with deeper hip flexion, and deeper straight leg ABduction, with feet parallel and flat. I work this in a bloc 1 or 2 template since the details of this form is harder for me. I wonder if this is an ok option. Sounds like your form is good though since you said it was fairly easy for you, so I don't know what else to tell you.

Ryan

Spanias Harris

I have a thread for the specific progression with videos here: 

 

I ask that more as a general question what is suggested to do in that kind of situations and what is the best option to cycle them. 

 

Thanks a lot for the help Ryan!

vinca_minor

Cycle the final block. That will put you at 4x4 on each leg at minimum non-deload volume.

Mark Collins

I usually do the most reps when waiting for the iM to catch up. So I would do 5x10 each workout. If that gets easy I add more reps to build volume.

Spanias Harris

Thanks all for the replies!

 

Vinca: i thought that as the best solution. 

 

Mark: I also thought that. But i guess you also must have deload week on 5x6 the 4th week?

 

I am between these 2 solutions!

Jon Douglas
Spanias Harris said:

Thanks all for the replies!

 

Vinca: i thought that as the best solution. 

 

Mark: I also thought that. But i guess you also must have deload week on 5x6 the 4th week?

 

I am between these 2 solutions!

 

I did Mark's approach the most, but Coach's advice was that generally running the final cycle was more productive. Recovery and physical stuff aside, it helps psychologically to know you are varying things at least a little when you are performing elements that are not difficult for you.

Ryan Bailey
Jon Douglas said:

I did Mark's approach the most, but Coach's advice was that generally running the final cycle was more productive. Recovery and physical stuff aside, it helps psychologically to know you are varying things at least a little when you are performing elements that are not difficult for you.

Jon, this made me think of my handstand, well tripod training. I'm still needing a lot more seated shoulder flexion to move on from HS PE/iM1 so I've been doing 5x60s tripod in consecutive weeks for quite some time now. Should I be cycling through weeks 9, 10, 11 instead?

Thanks,

Ryan

Spanias Harris

Jon thanks for the help! I 'll cycle the last block then, i hope i wont stack in this for a long time! Thank you all for the help!

Jon Douglas

Ryan-

I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but yes, I'd run the cycle in your position

Spanias-

No problem :)

Mark Collins

When I deload the higher reps i just do half.