This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Heeling Knee Pain using SLS Mobility

Started by Radoslav, October 25, 2015 · 3 Replies · 151 Views

Radoslav

Hello,

 

I really enjoy running but after about 4-5km, my knees start to hurt. Its usually never the same spot or the same knee.

 

I was wondering if anyone else has this experience?

 

Do you think that by doing the SLS mobility work (twisting squats, skiers, inside squats etc.) My running knee pain will go away? 

 

Also, can I do the mobility exercises everyday? If my connective tissue takes longer to heal than muscle, I would assume that I shouldn't but would like to get some more veteran advice.

 

Thanks :)

Giovanni Garcea

Did you already look into running techniques (forefoot striking, minimalist shoes and so on)? I didn't have knee pain, but I also was limited by pain when running (always feet arch pain and occasionally hip pain) that really made running not enjoyable.

Of course I went to a running store and they gave me a stability shoe that didn't fix anything. Finally Google helped me out, I've got a zero drop pair of shoes and stopped heel striking. Pain is not an issue anymore, when running.

 

Of course your issue might be totally unrelated to running style, I'm just bringing my experience and try to remove a variable.

Ravn

I had the same experience. Reviewing my technique, switching to flat foot running  and starting completely over (ie. running VERY short distances to begin with and working from there) fixed my running problems.

 

Instead of focusing on running long distances as fast as possible, focus on good form.

Radoslav

I have been using minimalist shoes for a few years now and do POSE running (forefoot/midfoot landing). Its really strange, I feel super strong in conditioning and can run hard, but even when I don't run hard the pain can creep up.

 

I should mention that I ran a marathon a little over a year ago with very little preparation. This really did some damage to my ankles and knees as I could barely walk for the month after.

 

I think slow and steady is a good approach, gradually improving distance and time. Yet, if I don't warm up and need to do a quick run, the pain will come almost immediately.

 

I am wondering if the mobility drills can somehow address this as Winter is coming and I am trying to bulk. I would like to give my joints a break from running and decrease my caloric expenditures as i am a "hard-gainer".