This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1H1 Success Story: Back extension roll

Started by Joel Savell, October 24, 2015 · 7 Replies · 254 Views

Joel Savell

Hi, I was just happy about this so decided to share, perhaps giving encouragement to other middle-aged beginning gymnastic students.

 

Before committing to F1H1, I had been going to a local adult gymnastic class.  One move I really struggled with but wanted to achieve was the back extension roll.  We would try it inclined to wedge mats, on trampoline, tumb-l-track, but I could never get the timing, or the hip explosion to get up into the handstand. I would roll over my neck. I would strain my shoulders and wrists.

 

Well after stopping the class a few months ago and instead committing to F1H1, I went back to the class the other day just for grins and giggles (won't be doing it regularly until I'm further along in foundation training) and I was able to do a back ext roll on a tumb l track with no wedge mat.  I was so excited!

 

I credit deck squats for getting me used to rolling onto my back and swinging my hips up.  Tuck ups and hinge rows helped to strengthen and establish better neural connection with my hips.  Headstands helped with shoulder strength and straight body.  Wrist exercises prepared the wrists. And of course all the hip and lower back mobility elements are huge.  All of this put together led to my first successful back ext roll on flat surface, when trying to attack the skill directly just led to frustration, not to mention injury.

Itamar sha'ashuaS

Awesome ! Back extension roll is so awesome, definitely a skill I want to achieve in the future.

Joel Savell

Thanks!  I guess all I can say is keep working on Foundation.  Seems like it's working for me so far!

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Congratulations and well done! Keep up the good work :)

Eduardo

That's amazing! Congratulations! It's really motivating to hear your story about how the courses helped you.

Jon Douglas

Actually, quite similar story :) I had been trying to get the hang of a back ext roll with straight arms for quite a while, even stomped on my fingers once or twice, learnt it in a few minutes with a coach walking me through the timing. No physical strain at all, although my balance at the top is not great ^_^

Congrats :)

Joel Savell

Wow, straight arm!   I've done that before on a wedge mat, but only tried bent arm last time. It seems once you have sufficient "pop" then bent vs. straight wouldn't make that much difference.  I'll try next time!

Jon Douglas

Its all about the timing :) sprung floor is easier to learn on too