This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Any advice on MN PE5 iM?

Started by Erik Rissanen, October 24, 2015 · 9 Replies · 345 Views

Erik Rissanen

MN PE5 iM is really hard for me. I don't have enough grip strength to even stand on the high rung, let alone lean back. I can do it on the lower rungs (with some pain in my soles from the pressure).

 

How did you handle this one? Is it just doing it on the lower rungs, attempting the high one, and let time run its course, or are there any supplemental exercises I could get help from?

Vytautas Pilkauskas

My experience: my grip strength developed enormously from RC progressions. RC PE1 mobility drill is really amazing as Hinge Rows themselves for grip strength. PE3 mobility drill is also amazing for that. Before foundation I couldn't hang on a left arm at all, now I can comfortably hang with each hand for a whole minute!

So I'd suggest to work hard on RC progressions. And maybe use some chalk next time to see if that helps a little bit ;)

Edoardo Cagnola

Chalk chalk chalk. I've also trained this with a wider grip, it helped me feel more stable during the walks. When I first approached this I thought it was gonna be another one of those exercises that you spend months with, but actually in about 3 months I was able to pass it. As suggested above, the grip strength gained from the RC progression is incredible (especially PE6 for me)! But don't think the problems are gonna end here, I find MN7<iM even more challenging!

Cole Dano

Shoes or pipe insulation over the bars will  help with the foot pain aspect.

Erik Rissanen

Thanks all. I will try some chalk, which should help with the slow sliding of my fingers which happens now. Shoes is also a good idea, so I don't hold back because of the foot pain.

wamarler

Man, what fortuitous timing with your post. I just progressed onto this element and am looking for tips on the iM too. I'm really glad to hear that wearing shoes is ok. I want to toughen up the muscles in my feet but holy cow... not wearing them is really painful for a 225lb'er.

 

I made dramatic progress between last week (week 1) and this week, so I'm hoping that a large amount of the adaptations our bodies are required to make to achieve this iM are neurological in nature. Those are my favorite kind!

Erik Rissanen

Ok, just tried it with liquid chalk and shoes. I have never tried chalk before and I almost cannot believe how much grip it provides. And the shoes help a lot too.

 

So today I was able to stand for a moment on the top bar, so I think I can take from there just working hard and letting time run its course.

wamarler

Hey just checking in here Erik, how's this going for you? On my end, I'm in my deload week 5x2r, and last week couldn't quite manage 5x1r ladder walks, but today I did (starting 6 or 7 rungs between hands and feet, finishing with 1 rung between hands & feet). I think this is a function of pike flexibility (which I've also been working via the stretch series since about the start of November), grip strength (which has been improving by virtue of doing these ladder walks), and lat strength (which has also improved as a function of doing these ladder walks). I've been wearing shoes, and using chalk too.

Erik Rissanen

wamarler, I just finished my workout with these as writing this. The improvement has been noticeable. The lower rungs are really easy now, and I can stand on the top rung and lean out a bit. So I still have a lot to work on, but it's improving. I'll give it the time it takes. It wouldn't be the first weakness I have found through this course, and I'll take care of it now like I did with the others. :)

Erik Rissanen

Another update. I just got my first successful rep on the top rung today.

 

I will do them more to make them more solid and to eliminate the rests I have had between the sets for now while working on being able to do them at all.

 

Feeling really pleased about seeing that they are possible after all. Almost did not believe so when I tried it the first time. :D