This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE3 side-to-side squat ROM

Started by DonGray, October 23, 2015 · 6 Replies · 301 Views

DonGray

Hi guys

I've been working on SLS/PE3 side-to-side squat for what must be 6months trying now to increase my range of motion but it's a very slow process.  I'm consistently doing all 3 stretch courses and I also do some limbering on this element at least every training session.

 

My question is - what rep range should I be working these to increase my ROM?

All this time I've been doing weeks 9-12 so starting at 4 x 4r......but I've seen a thread for manna - straddle leg raises to increase ROM that says just cycle weeks 1-4.  So that has made me question am I doing the right thing?

 

 

Alexander Egebak

I would do the mastery rep range if it is tightness that is holding you back, not strength, perhaps even go beyond. That is simply for staying for a longer period of time in the stretch. If mastery level is too much go to the brink of your strength capacity.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I've found that more equals better. I know that for the Manna progressions they say that you need to bring hips higher, and I think it's the opposite effect (mainly because of gravity). What I mean is that when doing higher rep work, your hips and core tire sooner in MN/PE2, therefore getting them higher on later sets or reps will only be that much more difficult. In the case of inside squats, however, gravity helps with this and may actually allow you to get deeper into the position as your muscles fatigue and as such relax a bit. I could be completely wrong on this from a scientific standpoint, but from my own personal experience I've found that to be true. As such, I've been working on really squeezing the hell out of my hips on MN/PE2 and as for the SLS/PE3 and im, I make sure to keep eye contact as I do them in a mirror and my back as upright as I can. I"m not there yet, but I find that in the later sets I'm sitting much deeper and my hips get much more activation and stretch (which I curse later in the day when I get a bit sore, lol). 

DonGray

Thanks Daniel, yes you're right making the comparison with manna exercises is completely different, that makes sense to me as it's no longer challenging strength wise, but that of trying to increase mobility and gravity is working with you - not against you.

 

I wonder if any of the mods can expand any more on this - should I stick with current rep-range? (4x4r to 5x5r)  

Ryan Bailey

I really like what Daniel says here.  We do seem to be hard wired for more volume and intensity work through the closed chain, lower extremity skills (such as SLS PE3).  Where as the MN/PE2 is open chain work of the lower extremity, as well as HS 1 PE/iM1 shoulder flexion for that matter, and fatigues a lot with more volume and sometimes hurts (the shoulders at least).  Good point Daniel!

 I know for my SLS rep schedule, I keep the PE reps in the lower weeks until I get good form (as I've seen this recommended by the moderators a fair amount, I think).  My supplemental work (wide squat (horse stance in progress) holds 10x30s, low regular squat 30 min/d, low twisting squat holds (ouch), and straddle walks throughout the day almost seem more intense than the PE work at times) but seems to carry over well to the reps scheme for SLS the following week.  I am also curious as Don mentioned to hear from the moderators what rep scheme he should be in. 

Ryan

Jon Douglas
Alexander Egebak said:

I would do the mastery rep range if it is tightness that is holding you back, not strength, perhaps even go beyond. That is simply for staying for a longer period of time in the stretch. If mastery level is too much go to the brink of your strength capacity.

I agree with this for this exercise, aside from the last sentence :) I'd almost consider rephrasing it as 'do as many reps as you can to a reasonable stretch without overdoing it.' This is not active flexibility, so more time in the stretch is probably what will solve it for you.

Are you comfortable performing reps to the mastery sets*reps, whilst getting a stretch on each rep? If so for this exercise I would repeat weeks 9-12 and nail the ROM an inch at a time if necessary :)

DonGray

Thanks John/everyone for their input! Will work on the mastery rep range focussing on getting a good stretch each time.