Wood Rings, FIG, Solid - one piece

Started by Integrator, October 23, 2015 · 4 Replies · 2,212 Views

Integrator

I'm looking for FIG wood rings that are not from laminated birch.

I want one piece of wood solid rings.

I've been looking everywhere!

Does anyone know where I can get it?

Cole Dano

I don't believe that you will find them.

 

In any case lamination is better in this case. Laminated wood is stronger and much more stable. In other words it won't break nor will it warp or crack due to exposure to moister or variations in temperature.

Integrator

Maybe you are right but I'm not fond of laminated wood. There are too many imperfections.

I'm not the biggest expert in wood but I'm sure there are tough woods that will deal with.

Red Wood comes to mind. You can barely burn the darn thing, let alone make it wet. It's very solid and tough.

 

I remember there was someone who made them, handmade, on ebay. Unfortunately I can't find him anymore.

Coach Sommer
Integrator said:

I'm looking for FIG wood rings that are not from laminated birch.

I want one piece of wood solid rings.

I've been looking everywhere!

Does anyone know where I can get it?

 

Nope.  There are no such FIG rings.  

 

Solid wood rings would not be nearly strong enough for high level technical gymnastics skills and would snap right in half.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

vinca_minor

Solid is absolutely no good for this application. You *might* be able to find someone able to bend some wood into rings, but I doubt it, given how tightly curved they are. Any non-bent wood rings would have extreme force directed 90 degrees to the grain: split city