This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scheduling

Started by Silviu, October 22, 2015 · 17 Replies · 554 Views

Silviu

Hi,

New here - excited to start and (already) have a question : in the webinar coach says he starts athletes on one day a week and progresses according to their recovery. On the other hand - elsewhere in the course info it says the usual/best begginer routine is a 4-day split.

Which option should I follow ?

If the answer is the 4-day split - will including HS two days a week ( on 2 of the days I'm performing F1 ) be a good option ?

Thanks in advance :-)

Jon Douglas

Hello and welcome :)

 

Silviu said:

Hi,

If the answer is the 4-day split - will including HS two days a week ( on 2 of the days I'm performing F1 ) be a good option ?

Thanks in advance :-)

 

This is a pretty good place to start. Once you have done your tests and established your working level for the exercises, you will get an idea about whether you may need to tweak it here and there :)I think this schedule is probably amongst the safest, especially for a beginner. I would expect to see pretty steady progress, and if not then that is the time to make changes :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I would disagree here. I started on the 4-day split, and found that coupled with being in grad school I didn't recover well. If you've ever done any kind of training program before, they typically do a 3-day split (I'm talking weightlifting here). Now that's not to say you could try a 4-day split, but I've found that the 3-day split is the most beginner option for GB and is a good place to start. If that's TOO easy, then ramp up the frequency of sessions to 4-day split, then go from there.

 

With a 3-day split you would obviously be doing foundations m-w-f and then handstand on tues-thurs. It's a good starting place. Also, if you decide to jump all in, then you could add stretch series to the foundation days or to your handstand workouts (depending on your schedule and free time). I find that this keeps me consistent with the least amount of effort in each workout and still enables me recovery time, time to get on with life, while still seeing progress in each movement. Though everyone is different, I would say start with 3-days and go from there. Everyone seemingly overestimates how good they really are in the beginning. 

Silviu

Thanks a lot for your answer, Jon.

Daniel - when I wrote "4 day split" I didn't mean doing all 7 excersises of Foundation every one of those days. If I understand correctly - a 4 day split means the 7 excersises are divided between two days and this two-day block is repeated twice every week, meaning you train 4 days but only do the 7 excersises twice a week. HS1 is added to the shorter days of F1.

Sorry if I misunderstood you - thanks for answering :-)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

No, I understood what you meant. I started with the 4-day split, too. I was referring to the 3-day split, which works in the same vein as the 4-day split, but you train those divided seven elements on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I was simply saying that starting with the least frequent, least intensive routine is a better bet, and if it proves to be too easy, to then ramp it up and do those divided routines 4-days per week. I ended up biting off more than I could chew, and so was simply speaking on my experience. It may very well be that a 4-day split is fine for you, and that's great. I just wanted to pass on my two cents.

Silviu

So I did misunderstand you - sorry about that.

If I get what you are saying then you are practicing the F7 about 1.5 times a week ( 4 on mondays, the other 3 on wednesdays and the first 4 again on fridays ) plus H1 on tuesdays and thursdays. That's training 5 days a week - isn't that too little recovery ? Won't adding H1 to one of the FS days be better for recovery ?

Thanks again for your help

Jon Douglas

I began with the 4* split, found it good, but found I was restless and experimented with more volume, up to some reasonable numbers. Now I have found that I am making my fastest and steadiest progress at doing a split M and W, and doing all 7 on Friday. Note that this is the same total strength volume as the 4day split, just redistributed :) FAR less than the 3-4x per week I have previously trained them. TTS I am doing handstand, press hs and stretch sessions, which at this stage are all about skill training and not taxing at all in terms of recovery; this comes once your shoulder and wrist mobility is in place.

Going back from my first post, it's def generally a good idea to err on the side of caution; starting with the 3day/week split is a solid plan, especially if you are totally new to GST :) far better to be restless and adjust up than frustrated and beat up by trying to do too much.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'd thought I was in the former category for much of the past year. I found out through trial and error that I was actually just frustrated and beat up. I've found what works now though.

Silviu

Thanks for your help, guys - seems like starting slow is the way to go :-)

meras
Jon Douglas said:

I began with the 4* split, found it good, but found I was restless and experimented with more volume, up to some reasonable numbers. Now I have found that I am making my fastest and steadiest progress at doing a split M and W, and doing all 7 on Friday. Note that this is the same total strength volume as the 4day split, just redistributed :) FAR less than the 3-4x per week I have previously trained them. TTS I am doing handstand, press hs and stretch sessions, which at this stage are all about skill training and not taxing at all in terms of recovery; this comes once your shoulder and wrist mobility is in place.

Going back from my first post, it's def generally a good idea to err on the side of caution; starting with the 3day/week split is a solid plan, especially if you are totally new to GST :) far better to be restless and adjust up than frustrated and beat up by trying to do too much.

I love your schedule here! In the past I found the 4 day split a bit too time consuming when taking into account all the other courses and the rest of activities while with a 3 day split I disliked doing some of the elements once a week. Hope ya don't mind, but I'll borrow your idea :)

lzwaan

Are you able to create a workout schedule via my workout for both F1 & H1 ?

(With the old schedular it was possible)

meras
lzwaan said:

Are you able to create a workout schedule via my workout for both F1 & H1 ?

(With the old schedular it was possible)

Personally, I just use a notebook to note down my schedule and progress

Cory Fair
lzwaan said:

Are you able to create a workout schedule via my workout for both F1 & H1 ?

(With the old schedular it was possible)

 

For now, choose the Foundation template and add the handstand days with the settings cog next to the day. We'll be updating the template interface to make choosing handstand days easier.

meras

Apologies for derailing, but are there plans to persist your element choices? For example, if I change a template on the scheduler it'll ask me to set all of the different elements all over again.

Cory Fair
meras said:

Apologies for derailing, but are there plans to persist your element choices? For example, if I change a template on the scheduler it'll ask me to set all of the different elements all over again.

 

Yes, this is a bug we're going to fix.

Jon Douglas
meras said:

I love your schedule here! In the past I found the 4 day split a bit too time consuming when taking into account all the other courses and the rest of activities while with a 3 day split I disliked doing some of the elements once a week. Hope ya don't mind, but I'll borrow your idea :)

I went to it also because due to learning new skills I am often a bit stiff the day after gym training M and W. My str training is best placed before it, but I also wanted a little more volume :)

JohnnyDLS
Cory Fair said:

Yes, this is a bug we're going to fix.

Cory,

 

Sorry if this was answered already. When I select the "F7 4 Days" template I see that it only sets a 2 days per week schedule. I know that for F7 schedule each day is the same. I was just wondering why the Scheduler only adds 2 days instead of 4 just like it does with the "F7 3 Days" schedule adding 3 days. Is this by design or a bug?

Cory Fair
JohnnyDLS said:

Cory,

 

Sorry if this was answered already. When I select the "F7 4 Days" template I see that it only sets a 2 days per week schedule. I know that for F7 schedule each day is the same. I was just wondering why the Scheduler only adds 2 days instead of 4 just like it does with the "F7 3 Days" schedule adding 3 days. Is this by design or a bug?

 

Naming artifact from the old scheduler, I'll update them to be more descriptive. :)