This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip 'popping' more often after stretching

Started by JasonN, October 19, 2015 · 4 Replies · 246 Views

JasonN

Let me start by saying I am monumentally tight in my hips. Therapists often remark with wonderment 'Your hips are SO tight!' As I have been doing FS and MS series for 3 weeks now I have noticed my hips having a little 'pop' every now and then. No pain or discomfort, almost like cracking a knuckle.

 

What I am wondering is - is this a 'good thing?' Like gaining extra movement in my hip joint or is it something I need to be worried about.

 

 

j

Ryan Bailey
JasonN said:

Let me start by saying I am monumentally tight in my hips. Therapists often remark with wonderment 'Your hips are SO tight!' As I have been doing FS and MS series for 3 weeks now I have noticed my hips having a little 'pop' every now and then. No pain or discomfort, almost like cracking a knuckle.

 

What I am wondering is - is this a 'good thing?' Like gaining extra movement in my hip joint or is it something I need to be worried about.

 

 

j

While training for improved movement patterns, our joints make noise occasionally...

No pain.

No injury.

No worries.

If we fear the new movements and stop, we hear the silence of cellular, cross linking fibers of cartilage, locking down our bodies into geater stiffness.

Enjoy the stretch series and its benefits!

Ryan

Stephen Majerle

I've had the same experience starting many months ago when I began seriously stretching my hips. It is just like cracking your knuckles but in your hips. I attribute it to the new ROM in my hips that I hadn't accesed for years, if ever.

Mark Collins

You will go from a phase of limited movement to increased which is a time when you can experience some weird noises. As you get more mobile it will go away.

WrldsGr8testDad

A personal example:  my hips used to pop every time I did supine flairs -- for the first 7 or 10 times i did middle split series.  Then it stopped happening.