I don't know many people who are more inflexible than myself, which is the major reason I bought the F1/H1 courses. That, plus I enjoy bodyweight training more than power lifting etc.
So my question is about the mobility work in the F1/H1 series compared to the stretch series.
Would you say that the mobility you get from F1/H1 is all you need to make your way through those programs? or could I benefit greatly by adding the stretch courses as well?
I'm sure adding more mobility work would mostly be beneficial, but it would also take time away from practicing the F1/H1.
I find that the information on the stretch course product page is a bit limited.
How do you combine these courses?
Is there any of the stretch courses you would recommend above the others?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
The stretch courses and F1
Started by Primalisten, October 17, 2015 · 7 Replies · 310 Views
If you are so tight that you think there's only just a few people out there who are more inflexible than you are, then stretching courses are absolutely for you. Foundation and HS mobility drills will get you there eventually but it is incomparable to what would you achieve with F1-4, H1 - 2 (and soon H3) and Stretch courses together.
I don't find a single reason why Stretch series would take away from your Foundation and HS courses time. You simply do your workout of the day followed up by any stretch course of your choice.
I personally am about to change my weekly schedule a bit but now it looks like this:
Mon: F7; FS Stretches
Tue: H1
Wed: Senders
Thu: F7, MS Stretches
Fri: H1
I just bought Thoracic Bridge series this week and I will have to find a way when to incorporate them. I will probably swap tuesday work with wednesday's and do TB streches on wednesday. Easy as that.
They are all quite distinctive to place one above the other. The best is to do them all if you said you're one of the tightest. My experience with FS and MS stretches is simply incredible, I had to sit on three stretching blocks to stay upright in a straddle before starting MS, now I can do it without a single block and I'm getting close to the pancake in every single stretch course minute.
So my conclusion is to get them all and give them your best and in no time you will be measuring your progress in minutes, not days or even hours. That's why I got TB even though, I think I have a reasonable bridge and shoulder flexibility.
Just remember to stay consistent with them. If life happened, I would rather make time for any of those three stretch courses than strength or skill work.
Hope that helps,
Cheers.
I'd also recommend all three stretch courses. I'm also quite inflexible because as an airline pilot all I do is sit and unlike an office worker can't just get up and stretch whenever I want to. Some days I sit literally for 8 hours.
You will notice a difference after one session, which amazed me.
I'm also about to change my weekly schedule because I just learned what F7 is. Before, I used the workout schedule which split the elements into separate days. I'm going to try:
M-F7, MS
T-HS1
W-Rest
Th-HS1, TB
Fri-Rest
Sat-F7, FS
Thank you both for a couple of great and inspiring answers!
I guess I just have to work an extra shift this month and get all them stretch courses now
I might have been mistaken, but I thought that each stretch session took almost an hour on it's own, so that with three different stretch courses I would have to add an extra 3 hours at the gym / week, which is possible but could be just a little bit problematic,
Let me just ask a question on your schedule example: Don't you find that doing all 7 Foundation workouts on the same day takes a lot of time? I like to keep my sessions to about 1 hour.
For example, today I do:
M: Four of the F1 elements
Tu: Three of the F1 elements + H1
W: Swimming
Th:Rest
F: Four of the F1 elements
Sa: Three of the F1 elements + H1
Su: Rest
My sessions usually last about 50 minutes total (with warmup).
With a schedule like this, where would you add the stretches? Would the be fine doing on a rest day? or are they strenuous enough so they should be considered a workout?
The stretch courses are 45min each, so adding it to H1 seems to be the most time efficient. MS and FS can be done at home, but for me my house isn't conducive to TB. They're pretty strenuous by themselves, so I wouldn't use a rest day.
Primalisten,
My schedule looks a lot like yours. Many recommend the stretch series following a workout.
I complete:
Middle Split - following the Tuesday (3-element workout which includes the SLS)
Thoracic Bridge - following the Friday in your case (4-element workout which includes the RC/HBP)
Front Split - following the Saturday ( 3-element workout )
Ryan
You can do it following your F1 workout or on a rest day. Just get it done. After a few weeks you will be able to do it with no affect with recovery.
Primalisten said:Let me just ask a question on your schedule example: Don't you find that doing all 7 Foundation workouts on the same day takes a lot of time? I like to keep my sessions to about 1 hour.
My sessions usually last about 50 minutes total (with warmup).
With a schedule like this, where would you add the stretches? Would the be fine doing on a rest day? or are they strenuous enough so they should be considered a workout?
Well, I usually complete all F7 within 60 - 80 minutes range depending on the volume and intensity. If I get to train 4 or more elements at mastery week that means I spend close to 80 minutes on Foundation. When you don't look around and train like it's your whole life at the moment, you shouldn't be exceeding 90 minutes on all 7 elements and only about an hour if you have most of your elements at block 1 or 2.
Like Mark Collins said, after some time you'll be able to do them on a rest day without any affect with recovery but you will have to warm up. ![]()