This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hey people, excited to get started!

Started by SeanS, October 17, 2015 · 4 Replies · 224 Views

SeanS

Hey people,

 

My name is Sean, 26yo, 6ft, 200lbs. I was competing in olympic weightlifting for the last two years until i hurt my back on a heavy back squat. That was in June. Since then i've been lingering, doing a bit of this and a bit of that, got back to running (used to play rugby, could do all the running in the world) and was searching for the next step that made sense. 

 

Over the last few months, i've been increasingly exposed (probably by the forces of the universe) to more and more movement related topics and people as well as the importance of body control. I finally realized that i needed to throw my ego own the drain and start from square one to fix my body (tight shoulders, hips, quads, etc.....).

 

So here i am, starting the Foundation 1 series.

 

In addition to that, i've listened to most of the podcasts that Coach Sommer participated in, and take away a few points:

 

-Implement weighted shoulder dislocates twice a week (1x10reps with both supinated and pronated grips)

-Implement Jefferson Curls twice a week for back health (start with 5lbs, 1 or 2 sets of 10)

 

Besides the F1 i'm going to be doing some running and try to go into the forest as much as I can with my son and play around, just relearn how to be comfortable without a barbell on my back..

 

Any suggestions would be appreciated as far as other elements to implement to improve overall strength/control

 

Thanks,
Sean

Jon Douglas

Welcome aboard Sean! Looks like you're well on track :)

Expect some initial fumbling and adjustment to how difficult simple exercises can be, but once you're in the groove the magic starts to work.

Starting Jefferson curls from the get go is not a bad idea at all. Just remember to err on the side of caution; it isn't a lot of weight at first but change is happening regardless. Patience pays.

I am not quite as comfortable with weighted dislocates straight off the bat, but if you are again careful and patient you will reap dividends. Remember it didn't take a day to get tight shoulders; not gonna fix them in one session either. It'll come, but this is definitely not one to force. More guidance on this is available scattered between the mobility and the (private) Handstand One forum

Otherwise, hello and happy sailing!

SeanS

Thanks Jon!

I've just now figured out where I need to start, looks like I'll be starting on week 5 of the first progression across the board. First day will be tomorrow.

Does simple hanging also help with shoulder health? Is it counter indicated to do some daily?

Jefferson curls are with 10lbs (2x10) and dislocates with 2.5lbs (1x10 each grip). I know how to progress the dislocates from hearing Coach Sommer elaborate on it, but what about the curls?

Thanks again,

Sean

Stephen Majerle

Dead hangs from a pull-up bar are a good stretch and I do them quite frequently. For progressing weight on Jefferson curls I would make sure that your range of motion is atleast wrists level with toes before adding weight. Err on the side of adding wait too slowly rather than too fast. I stick with the same weight about 1-2 months before increasing the weight again.

SeanS
Stephen M said:

Dead hangs from a pull-up bar are a good stretch and I do them quite frequently. For progressing weight on Jefferson curls I would make sure that your range of motion is atleast wrists level with toes before adding weight. Err on the side of adding wait too slowly rather than too fast. I stick with the same weight about 1-2 months before increasing the weight again.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be slow on the Jefferson Curls then.

 

Is there any other low skill movements like these that i can/should incorporate with the Foundation 1?