Weird Back Lever problem

Started by Alex Dienaar, September 15, 2009 · 2 Replies · 3,237 Views

Alex Dienaar

I have this weird problem with my shoulder that I can't really define : <, it feels like my right shoulder feels extremely tight and in certain angles, it hurts.

I was doing a steady state cycle with advance tuck back lever holds, and somewhere mid-end cycle, I my back lever started to become more and more sideways to my left arm, ending up with me being crooked and my right shoulder and traps and neck hurting.

I have laid off the back levers for a good 3-4 weeks now, combined with some tennisball myofascial massage. After trying it today, I noticed the problem was still there. Can someone perhaps help me find out what it is and well, eventually what I can do about it ?

It's generally the right shoulder/trap/attachment to the neck and the right side of my upper back that feels tight/semi-hurt.

Thanks in advance, Alex

Blairbob

My right shoulder sits lower than my left due to a partial seperation a few years ago. Thus my right rhomboid/supraspinatus area can sometimes get pulled easy or tight from the simplest of things. As well, I feel more pressure on my right elbow and shoulder than my left because of how it sits differently.

You could have a similar case or perhaps a muscle imbalance more on one side than the other.

Joshua Naterman

Besides the massage, you need to do active relaxation techniques and exercise-specific therapy. The muscles have learned a new way to function, and you need to reset that. It won't happen by itself. Go to a major bookstore and look for a book called Pain Free, by Pete Egoscue. You can probably find it at the library too. You don't need to buy it if you don't want, they're not shrink wrapped. Just read and write down what you need, and go home and do it. Or you could buy it, photocopy the parts you want, and return it. You won't find these techniques other places.

You're specifically looking for the static back "stretch", and anything related to shoulders. There's a routine in there that's about 10 minutes long for just the shoulders, at the most, if you just do the shoulder stuff. It's not weight lifting, and it's not bodyweight exercises, and most of them are not actually stretches. They are, for lack of a better term, exercises or positions that intentionally relax the muscles in neutral positions. This allows them to start to reset the way they work. It takes a few weeks to get the full effect, but if you do it every day you'll notice daily improvements.

On the exercise-specific side, do your back levers with either a spotter or, better yet, a chair. position the chair so that your legs are holding most of your weight, and just concentrate on positioning your shoulders where you want them to be. That way you can start teaching your shoulders the movement patterns you want them to have. I did the same thing with my dips, because my shoulders weren't moving the way I wanted them too, and now I have no problems. Took me about a month to get it exactly how I wanted it without having to use conscious effort.

I'd also check out Ido Portal's Scapular Mobility video: y4Wo095zPnc

AND his shoulder pre-hab routine: 1YHIV4a81Os

These exercises helped me fix my shoulders. I still do them at least every workout, and always will. If you can't do the full range of motion on some of the stuff without pain, that's fine. Just do what feels right, and each week see if you can extend the range of motion. If you can't wait another week and try again.

I don't know if this information will end up helping you fix your shoulder, but it's worked for me with my issues so I am sharing it with you in the hopes it will do the same.