This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Recovering from Ankle Strain

Started by Sensei JP, October 13, 2015 · 3 Replies · 146 Views

Sensei JP

A little over two weeks ago I suffered an ankle strain.  Lots of pain and discomfort, I couldn't put any weight on it for three days, but fortunately not too much swelling.  I stopped all training and stretching for these two weeks.

 

I am now roughly 80% better or so.  I can walk freely and without pain, though I still have a very slight limp.  Running or jumping are out of the question, not because I can't do them but because I feel it would just undo all my healing.  I can balance on my injured foot, but I feel discomfort if I rotate it in circles.  Not pain, but definitely discomfort.

 

I'm trying to ease myself back into training, and I'm looking for advice.  Some are obvious: don't do any SLS progressions until my ankle is perfect, but I don't know about other things.  Is it okay to do the stretch series, for instance?  Would the ankle stuff at the beginning of the Front Split series be beneficial, or should I scale it way back or just avoid it?  I'm also not sure what I can do for cardio.

 

Just for a reference, doing pushups or planche leans puts my foot in an unpleasant position.

 

Long story short, can I do some light, maintenance-level training with some stretching or should I just hang tight and wait until my ankle is fully healed?  Thanks.

Mark Collins

Unfortunately there is no such thing as a simple ankle sprain. In general do not do anything tahat causes bad pain. At best you will be ok in 6 weeks. But managed poorly it could take 12 months.

I would seek medical treatment for optimal recovery.

Zen Warrior

Some of the stretch series is much harder on my ankles than I would think, seek medical attention and keep off it. Better to have a month off than a year off.

sean

I suffered a bad sprain, rolled outside on my foot while jogging on an uneven surface, and it totally wrecked my ankle. Often told I should have broke it instead as it would have been less trouble because of how it looked by professionals. It blew up big, bruised bad, and hurt like the dickens no matter what I did. I couldnt even do a proper squat for years, all jammed up and glued down like heck, would fall over if I didn't counter weight. This was 3 yrs ago. I got a physio assessment shortly after the injury, continued with my F1 as much as would not cause me severe pain , focused on my physio rehab daily. Took a long time but I'm getting my range back better than I thought it ever would be (tho close not the same as the other non-injured) and consistancy is the key to keeping it supple and moblie. Certain things still hurt others dont. Can jump rope but it don't like jogging as much anymore. Any jogging I try as to be in the form of the barefooters stuff, it don't like heel striking at all. Over all I think the stretch series has been helpful cause after my injury everything upstream and down of the injury tightened right up and doing the stretches feel good and I think is making a difference. I feel your pain brotha but first things first get prof help if you think its bad enough, then go from there.