This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretching to help ROM?

Started by orangutan, October 12, 2015 · 6 Replies · 355 Views

orangutan

Hi,

 

As someone with awful compression mobilty, I've been doing a 90s standing pike before the tuck ups (MN/PE1) in order to help increase my ROM in that element. (I do the full FS stretch series other times.) I've also heard that it's generally better to stretch after, but is it OK to add limited stretching to help me get into the positions?

 

Thanks :)

Edoardo Cagnola

You can definitely limber before your workouts, many of us do it. Keep intense long stretching for after your foundation work though.

Awesssss

For the tuck ups, a tuck position stretch is much better than the pike position.

Mark Collins
orangutan said:

Hi,

 

As someone with awful compression mobilty, I've been doing a 90s standing pike before the tuck ups (MN/PE1) in order to help increase my ROM in that element. (I do the full FS stretch series other times.) I've also heard that it's generally better to stretch after, but is it OK to add limited stretching to help me get into the positions?

 

Thanks :)

I have found this helps before hanging leg lifts. I just make sure it is not as intense as when I am dipoing the FS series.

Alessandro Mainente

Ideally you should be able to demonstrate mastery or reps without previous stretch facilitation. IF you can't perform just one single rep without previous stretching position maybe the exercise is too intense and you need to work more on previous IM.

orangutan

Thanks for all the replies!

 

I've been doing both a kneeling tuck (child's pose from yoga) and a standing pike for 60s each before the tuck ups. Still can't touch the floor without bending my knees, so everything is far too tight still. I can't go backwards an element because there's nothing to go back to! I'll keep limbering until I can master the element without previous stretching.

Coach Sommer

Between daily stretching or 'limbering' (usually before a workout), the hard stretching of the Stretch Courses (2-3 times per week) and the integrated mobility (every workout) you should be getting a great deal of mobility work in.

 

Simply adjust your daily content to allow you to emphasize your latest most glaring deficit.  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer