This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GB online courses?

Started by obc, October 9, 2015 · 2 Replies · 216 Views

obc

Hi!

 

I've started following the online courses available on the gymnasticbodies website and I really liked them :)

 

I can easily see myself following these lessons daily doing 2-3 lessons a day (they include handstands, core work, lower body work, shoulder and lower body stretches). It's fun, it's varied, it's definitely not easy (for me at least, I'm a beginner) and it provides a good tempo for the whole training session.

 

So first I want to say thanks a lot to the GB team. It's awesome and really helps me train more than I did before, and it helps me do much more variation of exercises.

 

Question: I don't have much more than 1 hour daily for training, and this easily is consumed if I follow the online courses.

 

What would you say if I follow the online courses exclusively and stop following the standard GB offline courses? Will I be doing any major mistake here in terms of long term progress? my goals are to have fun, to ever improve and to stay healthy.

 

Thanks a lot :)

 

BTW - it could be nice to have a forum for these online courses as well :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

The online classes are a prep for the foundation series from my understanding. The tradeoff is that the online classes may have limitations on its progress. I've never done them, though, so can't be too sure. It's certainly better to do the online classes than nothing, but honestly an hour a day is all you need to do most everything. Doing foundations on a 3-day split should only take 30-55 minutes (depending on the week) if you do it as intended with no rest between pe/se and im. The stretch series are only 45 minutes and the handstand series could be done in 15-25 minutes (around an hour, as well). All told that would 6 hours per week of training leaving Sundays off. Just a thought.

Jon Douglas

Let's nip one future confusion in the bud and draw a distinction in the naming of the gbodies Online Lessons (or classes) and Online Courses :)

Daniel's correct, the courses are more detailed and require a (very) little more consideration and adjustment by the user. Most things are spelled out but there is a lot of discussions on those points in the course forums. Its largely preference, especially just beginning, but if you get a taste for it and want to get stuck into the hows and whys as well as the systematic, kind of narrowly focused and occasionally merciless hunting down of deficits and imbalances, glance over the courses ^_^

That's coming from someone with a little experience who needs to know the hows and whys, tends to over think, and needs a narrow focus to avoid trying to do everything instead of what actually comes next :)

Bottom line, if the classes are working for you, you enjoy them, and thats where you want to put your training time you will reap a lot of benefit from them and meet your goals. By taking on the courses you will set yourself on a path to a higher overall level of GST, but the approach is quite different and requires more from you. This may not be what you want right now.

It sounds to me like the classes are a better fit for you at the moment. I may be wrong and that may change. You certainly don't sell yourself short; I haven't looked at the classes myself but I definitely can't see Coach or Orench putting their names on any subpar training :)