Hi,
I’m new on this forum. It’s good to finally find a forum so closely aligned with my own interests. I have some questions I’m hoping people can help me with. Overall my flexiblity is ok (but certainly not fantastics. However, ever since I was a toddler I’ve had terrible ankle flexibility to the point where it’s had an effect on my gait. Following a bodyweight program for the last five months has really motivated me to finally try to fix it at the age of 33. Basically what I’m doing now in addition to warm-up and cooldown when I work out 4-5 times a week is to try to stretch using an adjustable slant board. Basically this means just standing straight with my foot dorsiflexed and I can adjust the angle as I progress. At first I did 1-2 minute holds, but didn’t improve much, but after moving to 5-minute holds I’m finally noticing progress. I can now stretch at 16 degrees, which isn’t great, but that represents real progress to me. I do these 5-minute holds 5-10 times a day.
So basically my questions are:
- Am I overdoing it? It seems like a lot of stretching and I don't want to risk injury.
- Do I need to add more variety in my stretching. I’m basically stretching with my knees extended. Do I need to add stretches with my knee bent, or will the stretching I do now target both the gastrocnemius and soleus?