This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist Pain

Started by wamarler, October 8, 2015 · 6 Replies · 318 Views

wamarler

Hey forum,

 

I've been focusing on externally rotating my arms during my work sets (HBP/PE2), and as a corollary I've been strongly externally rotating during my warmups too -- incline pushups on a bar (HBP/PE1). In other words, I'm focusing on keeping the pits of my elbows facing forward, particularly at the top/straight-arm portion of the element. This doesn't hurt at all when I work on the floor, but when I grab the bar and rotate, I feel a pain on the ulnar side of my wrist, on the underside. Using this picture for reference, the pain is just above the top of the 's'.

 

I also feel the pain when doing my wrist stretches as part of the HS series, when doing WRS/4, and a little bit when doing my wrist pushup work (WP/PE3) .

 

 66-Simple-Female-Wrist-Tattoos-for-Girls

 

Can anyone advise me about what's happening here? I'm interested in understanding the physiology, even if I'm not a doctor. Then, what can/should I do to alleviate this pain? I'm not particularly interested in stopping my workouts if I can avoid it, but I do understand the healing process quite well; if the only way to recover here is to stop, then I will stop. But maybe this is something that can go away with targeted stretching?

KSTL

.

Ryan Bailey

Does it hurt at the Guyon's Canal area where the Ulnar Nerve runs through? Any numbness/tingling in the medial 2 fingers/hand?

Ryan

post-16980-0-78209800-1444402185_thumb.j

wamarler
Ryan Bailey said:

Does it hurt at the Guyon's Canal area where the Ulnar Nerve runs through? Any numbness/tingling in the medial 2 fingers/hand?

Ryan

attachicon.gifneuro_ul.jpg

Guyon's Canal feels right. There is no numbness or tingling though.

Coach Sommer

You are over rotating the arms.  Ease up.  The rotation should be only moderate and comfortable.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Kimmo Kinnunen

I'm no expert in the physiology, so this is more a anecdotal note coming from a happy recoveree. I had an injury that started quite similar to what your description sounds like. My problem was biggest around the lunate bone though, a bit higher than yours. I don't think my problem was solely due to HBP PE2, but certainly it was a factor :)

 

During the 8 months I had the problem, I tried many things suggested here in the forums and by few doctors -- apart from stopping training, of course. Probably you should actively try most of them too.

 

In addition to already presented tips, here's what I was using in the end when the problem started going away:

I applied cold pack every morning, while the heat pack was heating up in the microwave oven (5 mins). Then I'd apply the heat until it was lukewarm. I did this every day, even if the wrist sometimes felt better.

 

I use wrist roller device as part of every workout warmup. I do 8 sets with different grips. I still do them, the fear of the injury does not come off.

wamarler

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your attention & time.