This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1-im Form Check

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, September 30, 2015 · 6 Replies · 81 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I've been working on these for over a year now. I can't tell how good they are. I feel like my ROM is decent, however, I feel a pretty marked/substantial stretch when I do these on the front shoulder (anterior deltoid). This is with 5 lbs, moving them in any closer leads to popping or grinding; and I very well know that's a no-no in GB and Coach's book. So, let me know if there are any specific things I can do to progress out of this damned element. Thanks.

 

 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Anybody?

Ryan Bailey

Hey Daniel,

Quite a long hold... about 20-30 seconds? 

Hard to see what your scaps are doing, are they doing that sliding out thingy from your ribs as you raise the weight? 

Do you have a video with a back view to see hand grip width throughout the hold? 

Do you have a side view to see the angle of torso to arm elevation?,  Or to see if your upper back and neck are flexing to compensate for not being able to hold the weight up over your head?

 Sorry, I'm not much help, but these are the things that are going through my mind as I am very slowly progressing through this movement myself.

Ryan

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I hear ya. Maybe I should transition to just working out at home/shirtless. Most public gyms are keen on the whole shirtless exercise thing. I already exercise shoeless and that has come to be a bit of a social more as a result. My scapulae are retracted in this position. 

 

The reason for the long hold is that I'm not with a counter (I typically use my phone/camera/timer) otherwise the hold is only 10 seconds.

 

My hands are maybe a bit beyond shoulder but in the course video that happens to be the case. Sitting Indian style on the floor, my hands lay just on top to inside my kneecaps. So not flush with the shoulders but about half-a-hand to a whole hand-width beyond a shoulder-width grip. I bring my arms to flush with my upper back. I'll upload more videos tomorrow when I hit this im again.

Ryan Bailey

Who cares what they think in the gym.  Take your shirt off... but please, keep the pants on.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Noted. I'll do this for the relevant elements then (which means almost all of them: HBP, sPL, HS, RC, SL [??])

Keegan

Don't take my word as anything official, but it looks to me like your hands are too wide and that you are "dislocating" to gain your ROM. You need to have hands shoulders width apart and you only want shoulder Flexion, no "dislocation".