This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Warmup Up Before Each Exercise? Good idea?

Started by tennissports, September 28, 2015 · 12 Replies · 383 Views

tennissports

Hi guys, I've only been doing foundation for a few weeks, but I was wondering (coming from lifting, where I'd do warmup sets), I was wondering if for warmups, I should shorten my block warmup and  use earlier progressions of each exercise before actually performing the sets. Thanks.

Freeflyer

I do the opposite.  I a general warm up, followed by a specific warm up pertaining to the elements I am training that day, and then into my specific movements, one after the other. 

 

My warm up takes me a total of 15min including mobility work.  I like it this way, but it is certainly not the only way to do it.  I am just not a fan of drawn out warmups.  On the other hand, when I was powerlifting, I would warm up each movement separately right before the working sets.  But I do not feel I am at a point in my GST where that is necessary.

Wolf with one Ear

I do the F4/F3 split, and will use a short block, or non-specific warm up to get my heart rate going and get my body moving on my F4 day.  I workout after sitting at desk most of the day, so I need something whole-body, like jumping rope or quadrupedal movement or tumbling, etc., to get going.  Then I will do earlier progressions of the given element as a specific warm up, per the instruction in the F materials.  

 

On the F3 days, I use the SLS progressions as my general warm-up.  

 

I might devote more time to a general warm-up if I had more time, but my current scheme seems to work adequately, given other commitments such as chores, children, work, etc.

Alexander Egebak

I warm up with HS1 for shoulders and some mobility exercises for lower body before my F7 workout. Works fine. I have a great work capacity but I respond fairly bad to endurance strength training, so adding in warm up sets would be a bad idea for me.

Alessandro Mainente

Do your general dynamic warm up with 5 to 10 minutes cardio.

Cardio could be run, waling up and down the stairs or easier take 6-8 jumpin jack variation and do every variations for 1 minute. all variation on a row.

Go for dynamic warm up.

Take the last elements you have mastered and do them in a row.

hbp, rc, planche, front lever, side lever, manna, sls.

Go for your workout.

Use the mastered elements should be not a problem. absolutely not.

HB_Ron
Alessandro Mainente said:

Do your general dynamic warm up with 5 to 10 minutes cardio.

 

I don't really do cardio as a WU... but, 10-15 minutes riding the bicycle to the gym counts, right? :P

Alessandro Mainente

the idea is increase the heart frequency, so everything is fine. also the rowing machine is good.

Jon Douglas

I agree, I found rowing particularly good. Running has its merits and of course every physical test in the world requires it, I'm just not a fan ^_^

Freeflyer

I like maybe 5min of quadrapedal movement or KB swings for my "cardio."  Basically, if I never have to do traditional cardio again, it will be too soon.

Edoardo Cagnola

I find it better to warm up everything (with 5 minutes of biking, some light band shoulder stuff and mastered elements) at the beginning of the workout rather than do a general warmup and then use earlier progression before each exercise. I find that the latter interferes with my performance on my current exercises.
I also do all the previous iMs from the SLS series as a warmup on the F3 day(s), just one/two sets each though

Jon Douglas
Edoardo Cagnola said:

I find it better to warm up everything (with 5 minutes of biking, some light band shoulder stuff and mastered elements) at the beginning of the workout rather than do a general warmup and then use earlier progression before each exercise. I find that the latter interferes with my performance on my current exercises.

I also do all the previous iM from the SLS series as a warmup on the F3 day(s), just one/two sets each though

Mine is similar to this, tweaks on the volume but same structure
Ryan Bailey

I find it interesting to address the warm up structure, when only doing "foundation for a few weeks", as was stated in the original post.

In this case, there is usually not enough mastered elements completed to be used as a warm up.

I tend to use scaled versions of the elements as warm up as well as a focus period on form.

I use high, very comfortable reps for enjoying and simply practicing the skills that will be trained for the day.

I view a part of the warm up time as neurogenic repatterning to engrain the difficult components of a skill. (Example seated hinge rows, elevated twisting squats, assisted straddle ups ect.)

This post has given me very good ideas for warm up structure in the future as I progress down the line...

I look at my foundation workout as training for a future warmup.

Ryan

Jon Douglas
Ryan Bailey said:

I look at my foundation workout as training for a future warmup.

Ryan

 

I like that. So do I :)