So weak in front lever

Started by irongymnast, September 28, 2015 · 6 Replies · 3,901 Views

irongymnast

I'm always amazed at how weak I am at the front lever, I can barely hold a good form 10 sec tuck front lever.

I don't train for it specifically but I don't train the back lever either and I have it for >5 years.

When I do a good warmup I can hold a 30 sec full back lever but only 10 sec tuck front lever (not advanced tuck!).

 

Is this normal? I get so demotivated by how weak I am at the front lever that I abstain from training it..

 

I don't feel weak in the lats either.. (perhaps I am though).

chuchodani

The answer itself is in the post, you don't train for it specifically. You need to train for it with the appropriate exercises to attack your weaknesses, in my experience if you're an average individual you're not going to get it by just working through the normal progressions.

irongymnast

I find it hard to maintain a straight back and I feel my lower back and buttocks are falling.

Rebelos

Try start training the inverted hang then.

irongymnast

Inverted hang = german hang/skin the cat?

 

Zach, I do the BL without squeezing the arms into the lats.

But yes, I must be lacking strength somewhere. 

I also train handstands for many years (I can hold 1+ min with good form and do plenty of variations) so I would have guessed deltoid/core strength would not be a problem. But obviously it is.

Rayne-William
irongymnast said:

Inverted hang = german hang/skin the cat?

 

No. An "Inverted hang" from the Foundation course point of view is hanging upside down while you hold onto a bar. It is fairly difficult despite how easy it seems. The static position develops the connective tissue/tendons of numerous muscles in your arms, shoulders, core, and back.

 

Working on inverted hang won't be enough to fix all off the strength deficiencies that are hindering your front lever development.

Jon Douglas

Inverted hang on the rings is not a bad way to start though; this is much easier than on the bar due to the centre of gravity placement :)