This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapulae Pushup (sPL/PE1) and Swivel Hips (sPL/PE1-im) Form Checks

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, September 24, 2015 · 7 Replies · 234 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Feeling a lot stronger in the swivel hips (SLS/PE3 has really helped with this movement), however after the first set of scap pushups I don't feel that my scaps "pinch" as effectively. Not sure how to explain it but the scapulae go a bit limp whereas in the first set the form is rigid throughout each rep. Still trying to figure out how best to fix that as it may just be an issue of endurance...

 

 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Anyone?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thanks. Yeah, I've noted all the things regarding scap pushups which you just mentioned. I just wanted to be clear on the im (I'm well aware that some thing wasn't working with the pushups. I need another block or two to push through it).

HB_Ron
Zach Armijo said:

Hey Daniel,

 

The swivel hips look great!

Does this mean Daniel's swivel hips are great "enough" for mastery? OR... Should the knees kiss the floor to considered this damned iM mastered? I'm stuck on this since I started foundation and I had to quit doing this several times due to MCL discomfort on my right knee.  :(

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I don't consider them mastered. But there comes a point which each progression where I feel I'm past the hump and can refine the move as a warmup. Such is the case with SLS/Pe3. My feet aren't fully parallel but I can polish that aspect of it in a warmup since I've got enough depth and control to not find much challenge in the movement. Same process goes for really every movement. Now, if my shrugs were better I would likely move on, but they're not so the mobility will be mastered by the time I've mastered the shrugs.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Another move which iterates what I mean is the Jefferson Curl. While 45lbs may be mastery, it certainly can be refined beyond that point. Hopefully that better clarifies what I mean by being over the hump.

Leonhard Krahé

Sorry for bursting into this thread but I'm really struggling with the scap push-ups myself.

Zach Armijo said:

The Scap shrugs can still use a little work. Spend more time in the bottom. Let your body sink down and then really focus on pulling/retracting the scaps back. There is also still a little bit of movement with the shoulders themselves.  This could be a matter of being on the balls of your feet vs. the top. If you need to widen your arms a little more to get deeper in retraction, that's fine, but work on bringing the hands back to where they were once you have the feeling and ROM down.

Do you have any additional advice on how to minimize the forward drift of the shoulders while sinking down?
Leonhard Krahé

That, Sir, is one excellent idea!