This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1iM - Elbows look weird to me

Started by SarahsWhere, September 23, 2015 · 2 Replies · 73 Views

SarahsWhere

Ugh, I hate to be one of those newbies posting annoying questions immediately.  This is my first week using integrated F1/H1, but I've been studying the material and doing a few practice moves to make sure I could start week one knowing what I'm doing without having to constantly look at the videos and explanations.

 

The video is of me doing the static seated shoulder flexion with a weighted bar.  I struggle with mobility in my shoulders due to being a pilot.  Not only do I sit a LOT but I also have to reach forward to the controls a lot.  Constant battle with tightness and lack of mobility.  What I noticed looking in the mirror while I did this is how my elbows bend.  Is this a symptom of the lack of mobility?  Or is it how I'm built? 

 

Thanks in advance for the look.  I don't want to start out all wrong.  I'll post the video in the next reply as soon as I make sure I follow the directions to upload the video.

 

Sarah

 

https://youtu.be/FQmYzobButc

 

Thanks for the edit Zack! 

Samin Ishtiaq

Hi Sarah,

 

It looks alright mostly. At first I thought your arms weren't wide enough, but you seem to have the same width as in in the video. Maybe just try fully extending your arms/elbows, with a lower weight even (if you're just starting H1, do this exercise with a dowel, and add slight weight over time).

 

Good luck on your F1+H1 journey!

Samin

SarahsWhere

I think you're on to something Samin.  Perhaps I should make sure my elbows stay straight and worry about the shoulders second.  It feels like my shoulders "unhinge" or something when my elbows do that.  I wasn't sure if the focus was supposed to be on the shoulders or the straight arm for this.  I'll try keeping my arms as straight as possible and hopefully the shoulders will mobilize after some practice.