One arm hangs and scapulae

Started by Francesco Pudda, September 22, 2015 · 2 Replies · 2,206 Views

Francesco Pudda

Hi all :)

 

Hi would like to ask you a question about scapulae position in the one arm hang.

 

I was always thaught to move scapulae against gravity, so, for example, protraction in plance, retraction in manna work, elevation in handstand, etc..

 

Hence, following this rules, I should depress the scapulae during pullups (that I do).

 

I can hold a two arm hang with both scapula depressed or elevated for more than 30 seconds. And since some weeks I've been performing the one arm hang (never one arm pullups, only isometric hangs).

 

Up to now I can hang, with depressed scapulae, for about 15 seconds, and I can perform 7-8 one arm pull (from elevation to depression) with both arms.

 

These days a doubt has arisen to me. Which is the best for shoulder prehabilitation? Depression (scapla activated), or elevation? Should I keep on training with depressed scapulae or not?

 

Thanks in advance

Jon Douglas

Hangs for time elevation, as it is more of a stretch. It's the (full ROM) movement of the scaps, rather than the hold itself, that is the focus of the shrugs :)

Francesco Pudda

Thank you :)