This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

When to start training circles (pommel)

Started by BobH, September 22, 2015 · 6 Replies · 264 Views

BobH

Coach has some good suggestions on getting started with circles in the Skills Development forum, here

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/895-basic-bucket-circle-training-tips/?hl=circle

 

and here

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/988-nice-basic-circle-development-videoarticle/?hl=circle

 

among others.  It sounds like good stuff and I'm interested in giving it a go.

 

Is there a recommended progression in the Foundation series that should be reached before starting circles?  Is anyone else training circles alongside F1 (or maybe F2...F4)?

 

Jon Douglas

I am training circles along with other pommel skills :) the coach I have been working with has pretty much walked me through Coach's progression although he's not a fan of the bucket; I am currently getting one consistently and trying to get into a second one. Moving slower than some of the other guys but I am aware I'm kinda clumsy and my coach is a stickler for form and good habits, so I am okay with it :)

In terms of beginning, reasonable support strength; although planche strength is not exactly the same being able to exert some strength in a good lean would help; shoulder extension flexibility, in addition to a good straight body position, scap articulations, and wrist prep. Post F1 is probably reasonable but again, the more prepped you are the easier time you will have of it. I like the position I am in now; I can train hard for the duration of the sessions even after my GST workouts without feeling like conditioning is the weak link :)

Itamar sha'ashuaS

I've built myself a mushroom and training circle on it. Currently can do a 3/4 circle with good form.

BobH

Thanks for the feedback guys.  I haven't been able to find much on preparation for circles, but what I have found seems to suggest that there is not a huge strength or mobility requirement, at least not to start.  So I think I'll work on some ag walks (why are they called that?) as per the GB video, then get started.

 

My plan is to build myself an EGE-style pommel trainer, but start with forearm circles on Pbars as Coach suggests, then move on to bucket circles.  From there it looks like the recommendation is to move on to a pommel trainer that's roughly 2.5 feet off the ground, but I'll have a little time to figure out how to make that work.

Jon Douglas
BobH said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I haven't been able to find much on preparation for circles, but what I have found seems to suggest that there is not a huge strength or mobility requirement, at least not to start. .

Correct, but you'll pick it up faster, have better quality circles and be able to train a lot longer/more often if you are more conditioned :) that's not to discourage you from starting, more to encourage you to keep forging ahead on the gst :)

I can't comment on the approach as I haven't tried without a coach, but seems like a reasonable start :)

MT Nordic
BobH said:

 So I think I'll work on some ag walks (why are they called that?)

 

Stands for "agricultural walks".  as to where that name came from...I have no idea!

Freeflyer
MT Nordic said:

Stands for "agricultural walks".  as to where that name came from...I have no idea!

Because you look like a plow