This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow Plank Twist (SL/PE2) and Trunk Twist (SL/PE2-im) Form Check

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, September 21, 2015 · 6 Replies · 100 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

 

 

Been working on these for a while now. The Trunk twists aren't much of an issue for me. It's more the sensation of reall wringing out my obliques. When I first started recognizing how that is supposed to feel, I could barely twist, but now I can manageably get my elbow onto the floor. My right side is a little stiffer than the left. Let me know how it's looking.

Keilani Gutierrez

these gave me a bit of trouble form wise as well. I have strong(for riding a bike) obliques due to spinning and HOLY cow is there a difference from the side i used to do 360's on. :P

that got fixed by having my free(the hand on top of your head) to spot my hips. use that hand to test out if when you twist, it stays stable, tips forward or tips backward. using that spot for a while has helped discover how it feels to have that "twisted" hip be in the spot it has to be.

as for the iM, if you want to SUPERCHARGE it, press the opposite foot of the side your leaning from into the floor. if you do this, the glute will engage and level the hip. this stops you from escaping the stretch. enjoy and keep it up! :) these oblique drills have been amazing.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Sorry, the spot testing about the hip confused me a little bit. I like the tip about pushing the foot into the ground. I'll try to remember to incorporate that when I hit these again on Friday. Do you mean that the hip on top should track along with the elbow on top? Or did I misunderstand your meaning?

 

As for the strength element, what say yee? Are these up to snuff? I need a varied input to gain better vantage on where I'm at. I know how it looks in my head and from the form videos but objective opinions always seem to serve best and point out what I oft overlook.

Ryan Reynolds

Hi Daniel,

Strength -  looks like you have made good progress since your last video.  I can see, like you say, your right is stiffer than your left.  I think your doing a good job keeping the hips stable and isolating the twist in your trunk.  One thing I notice is your shoulders are making a straight up and down line from the floor instead of keeping square to your body and then being at an angel to the floor.

 

im looks good to me.  Feet might be a bit wider than the course video.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thanks, I get what you mean about the shoulders and I think that this has to do with there still being some oblique tightness. I would have never thought I have tight obliques, but man has this movement clarified any residual uncertainty on that question. I've got another block or two on these then it seems. I'm striving to improve, but I can only go as fast as my body will let me. Hopefully, it picks up the pace.

Keilani Gutierrez

what i meant by a spot is simply, while in the side plank twist set up, move your free hand from touching your hip. this is to test which direction your hip moves while you do the PE. this gives you immediate feedback if your twisting in the torso or sagging / arching during the twist.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Ahh okay so touch the hip instead of the head. Conversely, have somebody videotape me from above and focus in on any hip movement? Is that correct. I get what your saying.