This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Template

Started by SlipDaJab, September 20, 2015 · 8 Replies · 245 Views

SlipDaJab

Hi. I was wondering if the F7 2day template in foundation is a good choice for someone who has long work days and does other training like MMA during other days.  Is it best to work up to this as it has all Seven moves in one day or is it ok if you can complete them.  Also how do you find the recovery times versus the four day normal split or the F7 3 day template etc? Thanks.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

When I worked full time I found 2 days of F7 to be the best choice. Sometimes I did splits just because of my busy schedule and it was fine. But never did 3 days because my overall progress somewhat stalled. You may find that doing F7 one day a week is a great deal because of your focus on MMA. :)

SlipDaJab

Yes i see, i suppose alternating between two day and one day may be a good choice as well.  Also wondering can you add in your HI on the same day as you train all seven movements as it is less intense and would be more clean cut getting it all in on one day.

Jon Douglas

I have found that at my current stage of training two split days (2ce a day training MW) and an F7 day are giving me the best results. On the off days I train handstand, stretch etc. This is medium volume if you are new to GST but nothing over the top. I certainly have the energy for more.

If you are doing a high volume of other training then the 1x F7 suggestion is a good one; keep your strength sessions fast and hard and move on with what else you need to do. Not a lot of MMA trainees need to add more endurance / conditioning work outside of their training.

SlipDaJab

That's interesting. Could you post the layout of your typical workout week if you do not mind? Thanks

Edoardo Cagnola

I used to follow a F7 x 2 split up until a month ago. Now I'm following the 3 days split and it feels much more appropriate with my level and schedule. My progress has speeded up and I don't get those days of elbow/ shoulders pain anymore. It might also be due to me cleaning up my diet, but I'm positive that this schedule has a lot to do with it :)

Jon Douglas
SlipDaJab said:

That's interesting. Could you post the layout of your typical workout week if you do not mind? Thanks

M sPL, FL, HBP, RC; 2 hours gymnastic training

T HS, stretch

W Mn, SL, SLS, 2 hours gymnastic training

T HS, stretch

F F7, stretch (hoping to add Fri night gym training too)

S Usually some bits and pieces, something I'm working k from gym, general mobility, etc. I do not stress if I miss Saturday session

SlipDaJab

I notice you keep your HI separate from your foundation work.  Does that mean it's unwise to add it in to a split day or F7 day at the end or the beginning? I suppose it probably matters what stage you are on with everything and the intensity etc.  I ask due to my schedule, which means i may have to try and pack as much in together.

Jon Douglas
SlipDaJab said:

I notice you keep your HI separate from your foundation work.  Does that mean it's unwise to add it in to a split day or F7 day at the end or the beginning? I suppose it probably matters what stage you are on with everything and the intensity etc.  I ask due to my schedule, which means i may have to try and pack as much in together.

 

I don't think it's unwise at all, just a timing thing. My handstand balance is best when I am fresh, and as it is not max strength work for me it doesn't interfere with Foundation training. I feel like this helps me reinforce shapes and habits by doing it daily as well, important for me as I'm a bit clumsy and work to really dial it in. Depending on where you are at and how much mobility work is needed for your handstand, it may be more productive to train it the same day. For a while doing it after upper body strength work was best for me as I was more warmed up for the harder stretching/weighted mobility.At the moment though, I don't think it would work well for me. As I am working on finishing H1 and getting my 60-90s handstands, I prefer to devote a day to that balance training. It's done best warmed up but mentally fresh for balances. Once I have consolidated my 2min HS, that will become a warmup element but for now it takes a bit more focus to develop it.