This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

To stretch on workout or non-workout days

Started by Peter Koman, September 19, 2015 · 4 Replies · 277 Views

Peter Koman

I stretch after my workout. But all together it takes too much of my time right then, so I was thinking of doing the stretching on non-workout days. Would that change anything in terms of performance, regenerations, resting... or it doesn't matter much? 

 

Peter

Jon Douglas

Straight after workout is best; you will avoid tightening up after strength training and be well warmed up and mobile for an intense stretch.

Whilst not ideal I do two of my stretch sessions on non foundation days just for a fairly frantic schedule on those days. I do run a handstand session and such before it, so its not as if I'm doing it cold.

Kasper Stangerup

I agree with Jon, but I have noticed that if I do a pike stretch right after martial arts training, I can much easier get my chest to the thighs. My kind of martial arts doesn't involve a lot of flexibility training, but the full body, full ROM movements really prepare the muscles. This is one of the reasons I'm impatient for the movement courses.

Edoardo Cagnola
Jon Douglas said:

Whilst not ideal I do two of my stretch sessions on non foundation days just for a fairly frantic schedule on those days. I do run a handstand session and such before it, so its not as if I'm doing it cold.

Same here. I usually do two H1 workouts a week followed by two of the stretch courses. The third one (Thoracic Bridge) is usually done on Saturday after a cardio session (jumping rope) and some light shoulders/elbows band warmup. When I'm really busy I will have my strength sessions in the morning and do the stretch courses in the evening after dinner. Just make sure that you warm-up properly and every moment of the day should be fine :)

Peter Koman

I'll try for a week or two with the new schedule and see how it feels. Peter