This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Starting dislocates and limited by forearms.

Started by Tucker Whitcomb, September 18, 2015 · 4 Replies · 320 Views

Tucker Whitcomb

Hello all,

 

I've been working on dislocates for a while and definitely still have a lot of work to go. Something I'm finding though is what's limiting my progress isn't shoulder flexibility but is instead my grip, forearms and elbows.

 

When I'm going through the motion, especially when bringing the bar back over from behind me, my hands are pulling out to the sides away from me. Keeping my grip on the bar causes a painful stretch in my forearms and recently I've felt pain in my elbow as well. 

 

If I use a rope instead of a bar where my wrists can turn, I'm able to move my hands far closer together, but I suspect something is being lost in doing so. Does anyone have a recommendation for what I can work on? It doesn't seem like dislocates themselves are helping my grip mobility issue.

 

Thank you,

T

Coach Sommer

Nothing to be overly concerned about, you simply have extremely tight forearms and they are currently the limiting factor in your dislocate work.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Stephan

It seems like I have kind of the same problem. Would you advise any specific supplemental work for the forearms to help them along? (Aside the normal H1 programming)

Keilani Gutierrez

supplemental work, im not so sure any would be needed. if you perform the dislocates at the width that you can maintain a firm(not crushing) grip on the bar will be enough. the rest will be simply letting the exercise do its magic. :)

this is going based on what you're saying, not exactly seeing how the dislocates look.

Jon Douglas

This is also something I had to deal with. Oddly enough, my shoulders were far more flexible than my wrists starting out (and still). Years of hitting the bags and jongs do that ^_^