This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Alternate series for calf raises and seiza's

Started by TimWood, September 18, 2015 · 8 Replies · 383 Views

TimWood

I've been doing the series once a week for the past two months (ish), and even now as I progress through the calf raises (which I reduce reps or add a bit of rest time in as needed) when I go to the seiza's my calfs want to cramp up because they are in the shorted/compressed position for two minutes after.  

 

Is there an alternate series of the stretches to allow for the calf to relax a bit more between these two?  like doing the calf raises with the kneeling Achilles, or just keep the reps reduced to not push them as hard? 

 

We instruct a stretch class at our gym and I notice other folks having the same issue. 

Seminole 4

"If two minutes is too much for you to start with, reduce the time." Coach says something along those lines in the follow along video. Maybe try reducing the stretch time until you adapt to the stimulus.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Do you have yoga blocks? Also cutting down the time of the exercise can help. I would say that you shouldn't try to figure out different exercises. The GB team has already done the hard work for you.

TimWood

I do have yoga blocks. I use them to lessen the intensity of the stretch on the ankle which are ok.  It's just the calves wanting to be little balls of fury... 

Ryan Bailey

Hi Tim,

You may try contracting the dorsi-flexors of the ankle;  this reciprocally inhibits the plantar-flexors. 

Hope this helps,

Ryan

TimWood

I'll have to try that.  Will be a fun experiment.

Mark Collins

Ther is alot of blood in the calves after the calf raises and when you sit on them you get compression of the blood vessels. As you improve with your calves this sensation will improve. It is intense and I feel your pain. Sometimes just waiting 15 secs can help to clear the blood before you go into seiza.

dritar

It's always a relief when Coach talks about how he was wrong about blocks for stretching, gives us some rest time after the second set of calf raises :).

dynamo

What works for me if my calves start to cramp up is rolling them with this:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Rumble-Roller-Beastie-Bar-Stands/dp/B00ECB6UBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446254274&sr=8-1&keywords=rumble+roller+beastie+bar

 

I set the beastie bar supports on the floor and while supporting myself with my hands and my butt slightly off the floor I roll my calves, breaking them up into three sections w/ 5 rolls back and forth for each section.  More than 5 rolls back and forth might be needed depending on how bad the cramping was.  Miraculously I can go back to the exercise and the calf cramping either diminishes or goes away completely.  If you have some real bad knots in your calves you might feel pain while rolling and have some residual bruising, but this just means that you really needed it.

 

Caveat: At least this has been my experience, can't say it will work for everyone.