This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE9 Form check

Started by Richard Sassoon, September 15, 2015 · 9 Replies · 238 Views

Richard Sassoon

Hei, I'm just finishing week 7 of those, having started at week 5, and would appreciate some feedback. I feel that doing in from a headstand gets more difficult as the arms begin to tire and I can't keep my back completely in contact with the wall... but probably on stall bars my grip could have been an issue though...

 

 

Thanks!

Kasper Stangerup

If you look at the video, you will see that the athlete doesn't keep his back in contact with the stall bars either. I do them on the floor as well because I need some neck training, but the first time I went through them (before the restructuring of the SL progression) I used the stall bars. I didn't feel challenged grip-wise, and doing them like that allowed for a greater ROM (since the feet can go lower than your head).

Richard Sassoon

It's hard to see from the angle in the video, but it does seem like the athlete has his back in contact with the stall bars... of course at then end of the rom his lower back loses contact. But I feel that my problem is keeping my upper bck in contact, as my arms have to work harder for that. I wish I had easier access to stall bars to try it out and see how it feels. On a side note, doing from a headstand does help with neck strength and should improve a bit more my arms's strength as well, even though it shifts the focus a bit from the exercise...

Keilani Gutierrez

more bang for your buck, if you ask me. :)

Bro'

Well, doing it on a stall bar does bring a nice grip workout too. So I just do both.

Mark Collins

As you lower the legs keep the knees straight. You are bending a little which makes it easier.

Richard Sassoon

Thanks Mark. I was focusing more on keeping back on the wall and ended up not paying so much attention to my knees... I'm curious to see how doing it with stall bars affects my form. But I do agree that being able to do it both ways is even better :)

Cole Dano

Richard if it makes you feel any better, most people find the stall bar version more difficult than HeS, so don't feel like not having them is holding this element back for you.

Richard Sassoon

Thanks Cole!

I will stop thinking about it and just focus on the task at hand :)

Oliver Harris

I have a further question on performing this element without stall bars, if one is able is it beneficial to perform these in a headstand away from the wall thereby requiring further spinal adjustments throughtout the movement in order to balance?