This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Exercises for neck strengthening

Started by Bruno Cochofel, September 15, 2015 · 3 Replies · 163 Views

Bruno Cochofel

Hi, I was wondering what kind of exercises are used for neck strengthening?

Cheers,

Bruno

Jon Douglas

Headstands for a start naturally.

Wrestler's bridges for time or ROM in each direction are good IME. Headsprings or limbers done on the head (soft mats please!) do good things too. I know Coach is a fan of 10 (or was it 10 back and forth?) headsprings done regularly during warmup for general conditioning and injury prevention.

I haven't used them myself but I understand that head harnesses are the best if you want to build a *big* neck.

Joshua Slocum

Headstands are pretty reasonable, too. 

Bruno Cochofel
Jon Douglas said:

Headstands for a start naturally.

Wrestler's bridges for time or ROM in each direction are good IME. Headsprings or limbers done on the head (soft mats please!) do good things too. I know Coach is a fan of 10 (or was it 10 back and forth?) headsprings done regularly during warmup for general conditioning and injury prevention.

I haven't used them myself but I understand that head harnesses are the best if you want to build a *big* neck.

Thank you, headstands I do but I think I need to do more stuff :-) 

I think I've been working on my shoulders and back mobility/strength and forgot about neck prehab...