weak lower back in advanced tuck planche?

Started by irongymnast, September 14, 2015 · 18 Replies · 11,193 Views

irongymnast

I've been able to hold a tuck planche for long time now and feel fairly comfortable holding it.

I put a mirror to the side to observe my development of advanced tuck planche. I'm aiming for the lower back to become a straight line with the rest of the body.

I can lift the lower back for a couple of 3-4 seconds but after that it goes back to the rounded back shape.

 

I was wondering if that is happening because of inadequate lower back strength. Anyone has gone through this as well? If that is the problem, what should I work on?

Kuboy

Could be. Also a good chance you're not as comfortable with tuck planche as you think. Straightening/extending the lower back will not only require some lower back strength but also will require a greater lean in the shoulders to compensate.

Alessandro Mainente

Advanced tuck planche does not need impressive lower back strength . I said that because the adv tuck planche form has the wrong muscles activation in the biggest part of youtube videos (an old tendency).

 

Look to this video at 31 sec.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F-Gqd8Khlo

 

He is one of my student, basically he feels no lower back work in this variation. this is from my POV much more useful to understand the pelvic and core activation during the transition from tuck version to more advanced position.

Spending more more more and more time on refining the previous elements is the key. I cannot really say how time Alessio spent on leans.

irongymnast

Alessandro: at that video it seems to me that he's already fairly straight in his tuck planche position and therefore he doesn't need to do a big change for his posture to get from "straight tuck planche" to advanced tuck planche. 

But I have a rounded tuck planche, not a straight one. What do you suggest?

I'm also practicing leans. 

Alexander Egebak
irongymnast said:

Alessandro: at that video it seems to me that he's already fairly straight in his tuck planche position and therefore he doesn't need to do a big change for his posture to get from "straight tuck planche" to advanced tuck planche. 

But I have a rounded tuck planche, not a straight one. What do you suggest?

I'm also practicing leans. 

The sPL iM work do wonders!

irongymnast

sPL iM?

 

straddle planche intermediate?

Alexander Egebak
irongymnast said:

sPL iM?

 

straddle planche intermediate?

It is "mobility" exercises from foundation 1-4.

irongymnast

Can you (or someone) mention the names of the exercises? I don't own foundation 1-4.

Coach Sommer
irongymnast said:

Can you (or someone) mention the names of the exercises? I don't own foundation 1-4.

 

Sorry, that is information for the private course forums only.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Bosco

Your lower back isn't too weak, however your shoulders are as well as your tendons ( and this make it dangerous).

Joshua Slocum

Lower back strength is almost a non-sequitur in the planche. If you can do a reverse leg lift and hold the top position for 2s, then congratulations, you have the lower back strength to hold a full planche.

Most likely, your tuck planche is not as strong as you'd like to think it is. My suggestion is to post a video of you holding a 30s tuck planche for form critique. Make sure it's a good quality video and that you're wearing clothing that makes it easy to see what your shoulders are doing.

irongymnast

Joshua, thanks, that makes it clear.

 

Out of curiosity, can you try and name the percentage (in order of importance) of the relevant body parts being active in a straddle planche?

I feel activation in the biceps, triceps, upper back, deltoids, forearms, pecs/core. 

Joshua Slocum

You've missed the serratus anterior, which is crucial in the planche for maintaining protraction. 

irongymnast

Ah yes, I also missed the lats.

irongymnast

My estimate would be 40% core, 20% biceps, 15% shoulders, 10% upper back, 10% serratus anterior + lats, 5% other.

J0X
irongymnast said:

My estimate would be 40% core, 20% biceps, 15% shoulders, 10% upper back, 10% serratus anterior + lats, 5% other.

for me its 90% shoulder girdle & upper back...

5% forearm & bicep stabilization

5% Core activation

Wes Tan

Nice video Alex :-)

 

Planche requires great strength in shoulder flexion from a very disadvantageous position, not far off neutral, with your entire bodyweight working against you via a rather long lever that happens to be pivoting about a point way out in front of your base of support (your hands). Your not strong enough yet simply and need to spend more time with earlier progressions.

 

Planche leans performed correctly as in the video Alex posted are far from easy.

Alessandro Mainente

They are brutal , i remember some years ago the first time i met Alessio , he had straddle and full planche but with zero protraction.

he stayed away from advanced version and played only with scapular movement and lean. I can say that now he has one of the most solid planche in italy, by far better that some national level gymnasts.

Yaad Mohammad
irongymnast said:

My estimate would be 40% core, 20% biceps, 15% shoulders, 10% upper back, 10% serratus anterior + lats, 5% other.

40% core? Really? I'd say that's probably the easiest part when it comes to planche. I'd bring that number down to 10-15% and raise up the serratus anterior by at least 10%.