I want to learn how to do these without bending my knees. That might simply be a matter of rebounding quicker and lots of practice. But if any of you have advice or training tips, I'd appreciate it.
Back Hand Springs In Place
Started by jamesters, September 9, 2009 · 4 Replies · 2,269 Views
If you want to learn how to tumble well, you should not be working this skill.
For the most part, you MUST dump the knees forward and bend them to allow the turnover to stay in place. If you extend and keep them straight you will go backwards (or straight up and then straight down on your arms/head).
There are only 2 reasons to work these.
1. To do a BHS on balance beam sideways.
2. You're training for the circus.
In either situation, you should have mastered a basic BHS prior.
You can try to pike your upper torso and do a "high" BHS. Bend over at the torso, then straighten up, jump up and reach backwards. Throw your hips forwards of your feet, not your knees.
To braindx, I've heard a lot of people say that, they say if you try to bhs in place it's a bad habit and will harm your tumbling. However, I knew someone who could do bhs in place even better than me (his legs looked straight as far as I could tell, unless he had a slight bend I just didn't notice) and he could still tumble sick to the fullest yo! I'd imagine that as long as you still drilled your ro bhs with good form, you should be okay, I think you could still be good at both. Or is their flaw to my thinking or something I'm missing?
To Blairbob, I got my standard bhs down pretty well before training for these, and yes I'm a performer (not always for the circus).
jamesters said:To braindx, I've heard a lot of people say that, they say if you try to bhs in place it's a bad habit and will harm your tumbling. However, I knew someone who could do bhs in place even better than me (his legs looked straight as far as I could tell, unless he had a slight bend I just didn't notice) and he could still tumble sick to the fullest yo! I'd imagine that as long as you still drilled your ro bhs with good form, you should be okay, I think you could still be good at both. Or is their flaw to my thinking or something I'm missing?To Blairbob, I got my standard bhs down pretty well before training for these, and yes I'm a performer (not always for the circus).
He obviously didn't learn that one first.
And if he did, he would've been good at tumbling anyway because he has awesome body awareness. That is not most people.