This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Inlocates & dislocates - what exactly are the muscle patterns?

Started by NickM, September 13, 2015 · 2 Replies · 255 Views

NickM

Hi all,

 

I've read Coach's post on shoulder dislocates, and other posts here on shoulder mobility, but I cannot get my head around "dislocate" - which to me means humeral head subluxing out of the glenoid cavity, with damage to the labrum - and "inlocate", which is....shoulder internal rotation + protraction?

 

Are there any videos that show the action, and that specifically point out:

  • the part of the movement showing the dislocate action
  • similarly for the inlocate action
  • at what point you "roll the shoulders foward" (or backward)
  • shoulder extension and flexion with no dislocate or inlocate occuring, so I can see the difference.

I've had both shoulders repaired via a technique called "capsular shift" or "plication", in which the surgeon makes the shoulder capsule (a collection of ligaments and stiff tissue around the joint) much tighter. As a results I've lost much of my external rotation, and a lot of flexion and extension, and as a result of this, I've also lost a lot of muscle activation patterning.

 

The exercise with the stick, held in front or behind of the hips, with palm up or palm down grip, and moved up over the head, has helped considerably. But I feel I can perform it with better form, if I knew what I was doing!

 

Mike Bowerman

Great questions. I would have benefited from any answers to this as well.

Alessandro Mainente

Dsilocation has nothing to do with luxation. SHoulder dislocate with a bar it is a multiplane movement of the upper arm head into the socket while surrounding muscles hold the head in the correct position. during the luxation the muscles surrounding and stabilizing the upper arm are no longer able to hold the humerus in the socket and it pops out from the glenoid fossa.

medical operation that involves the surrounding joint capsule must be correctly followed by a rehab program, if not the body tends to reduce a lot the range of motion available on the capsule. after a torn ACL and a bad rehab , took to me about 4 years to restor my knee capsule full range of motion in flexion. all the days 30 minutes sitting on my heels.